• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Building a guitar

Possessed Sinner

Free Bird Player
Apr 6, 2021
Czech Republic
Hi everyone! Hope you feel great! I want to try to build my own God damn heavy guitar using hand tools (I don't have access to anything other than a streigth line cutter). It will be wild AF but I want to take the time and patience to build a really nice, playable 7 string guitar. Let me use bullet points for what I want because it will be easier to navigate in it. Btw is Avenger style copyrighted by Schecter? I hope not.

# of strings: 7
# of frets: 24
Scale: 673mm (26.5')

Design: neck through
Style: Schecter Avenger

Neck: oak wood
Body: oak wood
Top: ash wood
Fretboard: rosewood

Truss rod: 590mm two way Göldo VS44B
Harley Benton locking nuts (4R, 3L)
Floyd Rose 7 string Special (I don't have enough money for now, later will be upgraded to Pro ver.)
Frets: Göldo WS210 Jumbo Fret Wire

Neck pickup: Sustainiac Stealth Pro (still don't know if I want to go into it)
Bridge pickup: Fishman Fluence Modern high output
Pots: 1 volume (provided by Fishman Fluence Modern set)
1 tone PP (also from the set)
Switches: 3 way switch
Sustainiac AUX 2 switches
High Frequency Tilt toggle switch (not provided - need to buy separate)
Jack: 9 pin (provided by Sustainiac)
Battery box: Gotoh 9V BB-04W

I am still thinking how I can do my personal position marks. I want to do the heartbeat graph as marks with one big heart taking 12th fret (it will not be bigger) and two small at 24th fret, both at different end of fretboard. Of course there would be a line going through the whole fretboard. If it would be possible, everything will be white except hearts and all of it should glow in the dark.
For a side dots, I am not sure if I want to try to put them in but they should be white and also glow in the dark.

For last, I want to do a ceruse finish on the ash top, not sure if red cracks and black wood, or blue cracks and black wood, or yellow cracks and black wood. Other parts should have the classic smooth gloss finish without any colour added to it, but now I am thinking that I will paint just the body in black.

For a use, I would have the guitar tuned in A standard (one step down) with Korn 10-65. If I would not like them, I will go into D'addario NYXL 10-64.

Thanks for any suggestions and have a nice day.

Possessed Sinner/Sam for short.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    You won't have an issue with Schecter unless you start making more of them and selling them.

Unless you're a truly expert woodworker, I would recommend making it a bolt-on neck and buying the neck. Cutting and sculpting a proper neck carve is insanely difficult, and if you're not top-notch or using a CNC, it will bring you heartache.

Looking forward to seeing progress!

Lonekimono

New Student
    Oct 16, 2021
    Pennsylvania
    I have to agree with Ed. I have built some guitar bodies before and did lots of modifications on necks and bodies but never messed with building a neck lots of precision goes into the neck and to many things can go wrong. Good luck.

Attachments

• 20230331_110515.jpg
      20230331_110515.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 65
    • 20230407_204504.jpg
      20230407_204504.jpg
      890.7 KB · Views: 71
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Possessed Sinner

Free Bird Player
    Apr 6, 2021
    Czech Republic
    I'm no lawyer but it's only illegal if you sell it for personal gain, you can make whatever you want otherwise.

I've seen Ola Englund's video of Namm 2023 that has a clear copy of dimebag's guitar shape but only as a playing demo guitar (he even commented on it about being a copy)
    I know that it should not be a problem when it will be for a personal use, but I don't know if it is fine when it will be in a video. But better be sure than sorry

Possessed Sinner

Free Bird Player
    Apr 6, 2021
    Czech Republic
    You won't have an issue with Schecter unless you start making more of them and selling them.

Unless you're a truly expert woodworker, I would recommend making it a bolt-on neck and buying the neck. Cutting and sculpting a proper neck carve is insanely difficult, and if you're not top-notch or using a CNC, it will bring you heartache.

Looking forward to seeing progress!
    Thank you! My patience doesn't end so I want to try it and if it fill not work, it will be a fretless guitar