• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Cosmic solo

Aaron_Turner

Free Bird Player
Feb 11, 2023
In the cosmic solo, Syn plays something where its like a note… but then a harmonic…. and it happens again a bit later, but its much more smooth that the first. I thought that was really cool, anybody know how to do that? If you don’t know what I’m talking about, I can elaborate.

Reactions: Ryan Reiche
Solution
It's called an artificial harmonic. This is the first one in the Cosmic solo. You basically play the 9th fret, bend it fully, and then lightly tap around the 21st fret to get that high pitched harmonic to ring out. It will definitely take some practice.

1686141753153.png

Steven Huth

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    It's called an artificial harmonic. This is the first one in the Cosmic solo. You basically play the 9th fret, bend it fully, and then lightly tap around the 21st fret to get that high pitched harmonic to ring out. It will definitely take some practice.

1686141753153.png

Reactions: OskarF
    Upvote 0
    Solution

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Artificial harmonic just means that it's not generated by an open string.

This example is a natural-sounding "12th fret" harmonic, except you've shortened the string length to the 9th fret (9+12=21). You lightly touch the string 12 frets above the fretted note.

Pinch harmonics are the same thing, technically, but with a twist. They both involve using the flesh of the picking thumb to create the harmonic during the pick stroke, rather than touching it later. Since that touch is very close to the pick attack it's a different technique that is almost, but not quite, a pinch.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection