• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Feeling stuck

Austin Goodsell

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I am self taught and have been playing on and off for about 10 years. I know the different techniques like hammer ons, pull offs, sustained, sweep, different types of harmonics, etc… But when I play I catch myself playing the same thing over and over again. I have tried to look at different lessons to try to fix the issue but end up not knowing if that was the lesson I need to be learning to be able to play freely. I’ve slowly been losing the spark to pick up my Guitar but don’t want to have all of that experience and talent end. What would you guys recommend?

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
Just learn as much as possible from as many people as possible to build up your own library of riffs and licks. Learning from other types of music can help as well. Maybe look into different types of jazz and apply it to whaf you want to do. Plus by doing the lessons on here and learning syns etudes you can apply these skills to creating your own stuff. It will come over time.

Sven Barnitzki

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Germany
Try a different type of music. There are so many backing tracks for each genre.
I put a little bit of what i like in my warm-up routine, from metal, over gypsy jazz, blues and hiphop. It can help a bit expand your horizon and get some new ideas.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Lots of great advice here, and I’m going to add to it in a different way. As a more experienced player with the techniques under your belt, I’m going to suggest an exercise that Vai uses. It’s really hard. REALLY hard. But it can help you work on developing your own ideas around phrasing.
    Steve sets a really tight parameter on himself, and opens it up for an HOUR. I can’t go that long, and odds are, you can’t either, but even trying to do something like this for 10 minutes can be eye-opening. The idea is to take something super simple – one note, one pair of notes, etc., and play only that for the entire session.
    In your fight against boredom, you’ll find new ways to bend, vibrato, and combine. Homes for that note or notes in areas of the fretboard you may not typically go to, etc. It forces you to think about phrasing and expression within the note a little more.
    Doing it even a few times can lead to the subconscious findings making their way into your improv. Give it a shot and let us know how it went!

Synner Endless Summer Collection
    There’s lots of great suggestions here. In my opinion, if you feel you’re losing interest or getting bored. Just play what you want to play. There is such a thing as overpracticing. What I mean by that is, if you’re only practicing what you’re struggling with and not being creative with the aspects that you’re good at, it can feel discouraging. For instance, I will designate certain amounts of time to work on what I’m struggling with and what I want to improve upon, then I’ll spend time just playing what I want to work on creatively and having fun with it. I also recommend writing riffs or parts that you can’t play right of the bat because you’ll want to play something you wrote correctly. That often spurs me to put even more time in. I find it automatically gives me more interest if I’m applying something new to my own songs.

Art Kalenda

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I agree with Richard and Ed,it is absolutely essential to try and make up your own riffs and steal them from your favorite player,then twist them into your own licks,Try adding a note or subtracting one.Bend,hammer,pull off,tap…to make it your own.Also playing to backing tracks and improvising is awesome to spark your creativity as Richard mentioned.

Samuel Desjardins

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    montreal, canada
    I was exactly in the same place you are, it feels like the old me writing this! What help me get out of the slump was just renewing my passion for music and trying to understand what was going on. I started learning more scales and learning different types of songs, things i could actually see all the way through! I used to only try and learn avenged sevenfold songs and would just drop it once i got to the solo. You just have to think outside the box and really try a different approach that could suit you!

Austin Goodsell

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks for the words of encouragement guys… It helps tons…. And Jose, Is like to play live but its hard to find people that will work with the same schedule I have with the same interests. I was in a band but ended up getting in a motorcycle wreck fucking up my shoulder so that wiped out the chance I had there.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ireneusz Skorupa

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hey Austin, I used to have the same problem. Mind me asking, what music do you listen to? What bands, what genres? What are you looking for in music and what’s your daily dose of bands and artists you listen to? Do you prefer to stick to those you fall in love with? Maybe you listen to something new every single day? And what kind of music makes you feel like home?
    Also, I have questions regarding your guitar routine. Do you stick to your tone or rather change or alter it from time to time? Do you play with high gain? Do you often play clean? What would you like to sound?
    I’m no expert, but I have gone through it and I’m constantly analysing what affects my techniques and manners of creating stuff and I feel capable of helping you out, but I need you to describe how you approach your music. Actually, if you ask yourself these questions, you might even find out what’s up on your own, but if you ever struggle with it, just respond me and I’ll be more than eager to share my knowledge with you.

Austin Goodsell

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I mainly listen to heavier rock, metal, some alt rock, and bands like A7X (of course), five finger death punch, older Metalica, have been listening to some of Sirius xm’s Octane, miss may I, August Burns Red, older Daughtry, some Shamans harvest. Etc….
    I have my Rhodes style Flying v (Jackson) with the Floyd Rose Tremelo. Usually have it tuned to drop C with a good amount of distortion. And whenever I want to play in standard tuning, I have my Yamaha Pacifica that I switch from distortion to clean periodically.

Ireneusz Skorupa

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    The creating process is connected to the music you listen to. At some point of my guitar playing, I only played a couple of Megadeth songs, just because I liked them so much and it turned out to be quite developing for my technique, but eventually I felt that I need to taste other rhythms and melodies than this. In a moment, the songs I played most frequently turned out to be boring and I didn’t feel like it’s broadening my mind to listen to them or play them anymore. I discovered that many bands tend to focus the essence of their music on rhythmic riffs, like the one mentioned above (of course there are some exceptions), meanwhile other bands, like Iron Maiden or Avenged Sevenfold, have their lead guitarists, who carry songs on with melodic lead guitars and dual harmonies. Once I noticed it, I said to myself: “Well, they divide it into two options, screw that, I’ll pick the number three.” I can’t even explain, what my “third option” is about, because it’s what you feel you want in a song and it’s personal and subjective and you would do it on your own anyway, WHICH IS THE POINT! You have to figure out, whether you’d want a song to be riff-based, make it have lead parts, or maybe something brand new we haven’t heard before? Also, it’s worth mentioning that, let’s be honest – a big deal of songs in EVERY genre comes down to starting a song with an intro, introducing the first verse, then you have chorus, then again a verse with a possible breakdown, then you go back to chorus, now you can throw a solo in, it just gets really boring and overused. I think this also might be what keeps you astern, so just go crazy with proportions and your song structures. It completely changes the way you thing about music. I’ve also found out that playing to jam tracks with odd meters you’ve never played with helps you think ahead and you kind of learn that rhythm and metronome are MADE to alter and experiment with them. When I write songs or riffs, I never truly am loyal to scales and I love adding weird half-measured endings. Animals As Leaders is a perfect example of how far you can musically go, making it less and less like-everything-else. Don’t be afraid to make it progressive. Listen to a lot of bands, genres, don’t you dare making it boring to yourself. Make it senselessly contrived at first, then, step by step, go in the direction of making it simplier, easier to understand. And remember not to go too far in complicating your own songs – out of the two, the guy who says more by doing less is better than the guy who does the complete polar opposite. Let it make sense in the end. If you don’t put that beast of creativity you have in your mind in a cage, but also instead of letting it go nuts have it obedient, one day or another, you’ll end up making a song comparable to Exist or Master of Puppets. I hope it helped, good luck.