• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

good amp settings For metal or rock

Roman1209

Free Bird Player
Oct 6, 2020
Canada
So i been playing for a good couple months now i been trying to find a good Metal/hard rock something like A7X but i can never find the right settigns i use a Fender Hot Rod Deville or i use my epiphone 10s amp one of two also i have boss pedels I mainly use my Chorus and distortion pedal but any recommendations for a good settings

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I use pretty high mids and treble for definition. Basically, I have bass at around 3, mid at 7 and treble and presence around 9.

Of course you also need to adjust the amount of gain but that's very much personal preference imho

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    A good Metal sound can depend on a few things - The way I tend to get a sort of A7X like tone is - (this is with my Strat) :

1. Bridge pickup on guitar
    2. A decent amount of Gain but not drowning in it - maybe about 3oclock position?
    3. Half way on Mids
    4. Half way on Treble
    5. a bit less than half way on Bass

One crucial thing for me is to use a Compressor with a decent bit of Attack & Sustain - this really helps with the whole SYN like sound.

I notice that with every amp my settings will differ, so I'd imagine it will be the same with a different amp & guitar - it's pretty much all pertaining to your ear! You'll probably tweak it around until your ear likes it 🤟

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    A good Metal sound can depend on a few things - The way I tend to get a sort of A7X like tone is - (this is with my Strat) :

1. Bridge pickup on guitar
    2. A decent amount of Gain but not drowning in it - maybe about 3oclock position?
    3. Half way on Mids
    4. Half way on Treble
    5. a bit less than half way on Bass

One crucial thing for me is to use a Compressor with a decent bit of Attack & Sustain - this really helps with the whole SYN like sound.

I notice that with every amp my settings will differ, so I'd imagine it will be the same with a different amp & guitar - it's pretty much all pertaining to your ear! You'll probably tweak it around until your ear likes it 🤟

I find that having 3 o'clock gain is actually a bit much when I record, I actually end up at like 12 or 1 :LOL:. Other than that, that's a pretty good starting point. I don't use too much compression, though I assume it could work sometimes.

Reactions: Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I find that having 3 o'clock gain is actually a bit much when I record, I actually end up at like 12 or 1 :LOL:. Other than that, that's a pretty good starting point. I don't use too much compression, though I assume it could work sometimes.
    Right enough! A lot of the time I end up doubling back myself on the gain, cause it gets a bit mushy sounding :LOL: I'd recommend playing around with some compression if you're looking for that kinda tone, it was the kinda eureka effect for me when doubled with gain to get the sound I was looking for 🤟

Reactions: Andrew Milner