• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Buzzing

Aightball

Garage band Groupie
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Iowa
    aightball.wordpress.com
    Guitar head (?) has developed a buzz tonight…noticed it when tuning. It was also harder to tune tonight and was super out of tune as well. It sits in a case propped up against a book case when not in use. Other than the fact it’s 30+ years old, why is it buzzing and can I fix that?
    I talked to my SO, since it’s his guitar. Found out it was second hand when he got it (30 years ago) and he’s not entirely sure how old it was at that time, lol! Starting to research new guitars to save up for a new one but don’t know if I should go acoustic again or electric…advice?

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Liberty IN
    Well i couldn’t watch your video cause my internet is bad… but I kind of had the same problem with my electric guitar. There was a slight buzzing noise coming from the tuning peg for the G string. It’s possible that the tuners need tightened more where it attaches to the head stock of the guitar so try that and see if it does anything. For me I had to put gorilla glue on the actual tuner because it was permanently loose and I couldn’t tighten it(this worked put don’t use gorilla glue on anything unless you absolutely have to lol) It could also mean you may need new strings. I’ll reply again and tell you if that’s what I think it is whenever I can get your video to load

Aightball

Garage band Groupie
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Iowa
    aightball.wordpress.com
    Matt>
    Newbie question: when you mention tightening at the headstock, how does one do that?
    The strings are from…*thinks* 2012 or 13, I think. I can’t remember when we got the guitar but I had the strings changed withib a year of that. It hasn’t been played much until now :). But I can definitely save up for new strings of necessary

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Liberty IN
    Yea man! Im sorry I didnt clarify on that more but what i mean is the tuning machines are attached to the head stock of your guitar. If you look at each tuning machine on the bottom side of the head stock, there should be some screws that go through the tuning machine and into the head
    stock. tightening those screws (if your guitar has those) should help with the buzzing problem. On some guitars, there are also crews that are on the end of the actual tuning peg. so if your guitar has those maybe try and tighten those as well. As far as strings go, i would go ahead and change them if you can just to be safe, just cause they are 4 years old. Sometimes old strings can cause buzzing so thats why I say that. I hope this helps! Feel free to ask me more questions if you have them im here!

Synner Endless Summer Collection