• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I hold the pick two different ways?

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
When I’m playing a solo or licking out individual notes I like to hold my pick the way that PGS teaches in the very first lesson on this site. But I HATE holding the pick that way when I’m strumming. Maybe I’m not used to it but it is hard for me. When I strum I usually just hold the pick between my thumb and middle finger so that my wrist can get more movement to complete the strum. Thoughts?

J

Jak Angelescu

It took a long time for me to get used to playing rhythm that way. It took me about a month of daily practice before it started to get comfortable. Everyone holds the pick differently, but I think it’s best to do the way papa teaches us because if you are in the middle of doing something rhythmically and you want to use your other fingers to pluck a string (for example hybrid picking) it limits you. This is really the only way that I felt to explain that the best way to pick is the way he demonstrates. Is that it allows more freedom to do things, should you want to. Hope this helps! 🤗

Jake Young

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I’m the same way as you Matt man! For me, holding the pick as papa teaches when strumming creates too much tension in my wrist..and honestly just feels stupid to me. And actually if you watch Syn, his grip changes depending on what he’s doing also. Like 5 years ago (I’ve been playing for 18 years now), I reevaluated my picking technique. Cause I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. So I watched a ton of my favorite players and realized pretty much what I knew all along….everybody holds it different! I know you’ve heard it before..but there’s no right or wrong way. Of course, some ways work better than others..but I think it’s really up to you to figure that out. I say this on here a whole lot..I should copyright it maybe? Lol but there are no real rules when it comes to playing guitar..only guidelines!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have two different grips as well. 80% of the stuff I play I use the method from the picking lesson, but when I’m playing rhythm on the first 2 or 3 strings I hold it with my thumb, pointer, and ring. Not sure why but I play a ton more accurate on those strings when holding down a rhythm when I hold it like that and I can play blasts much faster, more intense, and just better that way too.

Jeff Pogan

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Definitely the way @jak advised is the way to go, if you hold the pick the way PG teaches you’ll be in good shape.
    I say this from experience:
    I’ve been playing for about 16 years and BECAUSE I didn’t practice proper picking technique in the beginning, I have had to relearn how to pick! I was using 3 different techniques; one for basic rhythm picking, one for strumming, and one *improper* technique for playing super fast licks.
    All 3 of these techniques can and should be able to be proficiently conquered with one picking technique. It’s frustrating at first, but when you cross that hurdle, you’ll definitely notice leaps and bounds in your playing a lot sooner!