• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I wrote a song(or part of one anyway)

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I'm starting to get into recording and stuff like that and wanted to go through the whole mixing/mastering process and such so I started writing a song.

The performance is pretty sloppy at times and I have never mixed/mastered anything in my life before.

Also, I'll probably expand on what I have so far so de there's plenty of room for that

Tips/tricks are very much appreciated 😅

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I'm starting to get into recording and stuff like that and wanted to go through the whole mixing/mastering process and such so I started writing a song.

The performance is pretty sloppy at times and I have never mixed/mastered anything in my life before.

Also, I'll probably expand on what I have so far so de there's plenty of room for that

Tips/tricks are very much appreciated 😅
    Ok so first of all, that track is pretty awesome. I love the ambiance and I dont know why but i have a very peaceful vibe out of it!

As for mixing goes, have you added the reverb after recording or did you record with the reverb?

Secondly, In my book, i have two types of recording and mixing and all that. Scratch recordings which i use when I write a song and therefore create a demo. The point of it is not for it to be tight as much as it being a decent recording that give a good idea of the song I am trying to make and the direction its taking. I will use all the effect I want on it and wont do much of work on it. I will do brutal edits on it, leave lots of artefacts and just... you know try to create and shape a song. I will then give it a very rough mix with all the automations or what not to once again give it shape. Not as much for having it ready to be mix properly or even mastered. Mastering can be incredibly difficult so I just skip for this step.

Once your song has taken shape, you have it fully or at at least 90% done, then I would jump into the pro recording. Means that I slap new strings on my guitar and I record everything and try to have clean tracks and tight tracks (or tracks that serve the song). Then on my side, I will send it to someone to mix it and master it for me because I cannot do it on my own material without being bias. For best mixing possible, fresh ears are always preferable. But for home made projects, it can always be great to perfect and expand your mixing skills so in your case, by all means, have fun and try to mix it on your own! Even more if its instrumental because what I say is true for me simply because I cant stand my vocals.

But thats true for very well produced material which is huge stretch for a lot of people. The point of it is to always serve the song. For exemple trashy punk band or grunge bands, you dont want the recording to be nice and shiny. You want it to reflect the vibe of the song so it wont matter, for exemple, if the performance is sloppier. The truth is that there are many truth and that so many different things apply so in short, its a case by case basis and the goal is to always serve the song.

Jesus christ that was a lot, I hope I helped, let me know if you need anything more on this technical side of things.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Thank you! I used some presets in bias fx for the guitar which already had reverb in. In mixing I only fixed the volumes and added an EQ for mastering I just followed the steps form a quick course in mastering in a studio one course I'm doing.
    Thats cool. The only thing is that its much more difficult to mix a track that has reverb recorded on it. Basically, its easier to EQ and compress a track with no reverb and in that way, correcting all the tones issues or frequencies that we dont like or else and then send it into a reverb that we will then be able to control too. Its just a bit more difficult to do those things when the reverb is in the recorded track but I dont think this quite applies to you just yet!

Thats cool but mastering can also be very tedious and out of all the job in the sound industries, its amongst the most difficult. Mostly because it requires a huge amount of precision work but also an insane amount of experience. (to get top quality results of course). Thats why often you see that an album is mixed by someone and then sent to someone else to be mastered!

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith and idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Thats cool. The only thing is that its much more difficult to mix a track that has reverb recorded on it. Basically, its easier to EQ and compress a track with no reverb and in that way, correcting all the tones issues or frequencies that we dont like or else and then send it into a reverb that we will then be able to control too. Its just a bit more difficult to do those things when the reverb is in the recorded track but I dont think this quite applies to you just yet!

Thats cool but mastering can also be very tedious and out of all the job in the sound industries, its amongst the most difficult. Mostly because it requires a huge amount of precision work but also an insane amount of experience. (to get top quality results of course). Thats why often you see that an album is mixed by someone and then sent to someone else to be mastered!
    Yeah, I'm definitely noticing that. I signed up for some mixing and mastering classes just to get at least some sort of grip on the concept of it all.

Reactions: Rad Synner

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Yeah, I'm definitely noticing that. I signed up for some mixing and mastering classes just to get at least some sort of grip on the concept of it all.
    Its funny because I feel like you are at the same learning stage about mixng as I am about music theory! hahaha

Might feel overwhelming in one shot but the goal at first is to familiarize yourself with all the concepts. It took me a while to completely understand what compression is and how to use it or stuff like that (Still havent perfected those) but its a process. If you need anything, my dms are always open!

• Haha
    Reactions: idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Its funny because I feel like you are at the same learning stage about mixng as I am about music theory! hahaha

Might feel overwhelming in one shot but the goal at first is to familiarize yourself with all the concepts. It took me a while to completely understand what compression is and how to use it or stuff like that (Still havent perfected those) but its a process. If you need anything, my dms are always open!
    Thank you!

Reactions: Rad Synner

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    That was really cool. Started with a strong Enya vibe and like Alicia said, then it moved into Calm app territory. Radu's right about effects - you should record guitar signals as dry as possible, and then add the effects in the FX loop of your DAW, so you can change them. You can ADD all the reverb you want. You can never remove it if it's recorded with the track.

Now, when it comes to a preset that is exactly what inspired the part you've written, that can be different, and you do your own thing, no matter what, but as a general guideline, it's a good way to spare yourself some heartache.

Reactions: idssdi