• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I'd Like To Do A Practice Tips Video: Opinions?

J

Jak Angelescu

Hey there everyone! I have been noticing some things on the school, my social media, YouTube channel and personal messages that there seems to be an overtone of people wanting to practice but they don’t know HOW or WHAT to practice, or even how to approach it. Another student on here created a great lesson about the importance of finger pressure because it related to him on a personal level. And in my years of playing, I’ve been led astray by so many teachers and because of this, I had to develope different approaches that really worked for me-including getting out of mental funks that keep us from practicing. So my question was; I’m considering doing a practice/mental approach tips video every other week but I was wanting to ask if anyone would find use in it or would like for me to make it.
Not only me, but I think we should share our progresses a lot more on this school than just songs we know. I have had some amazing advice and tips given to me on here and I think we’d all could learn a lot if we took some time to post a video talking about stuff we learned, struggles we had learning it and how we overcame them. I personally would find them very helpful and we all have something to teach 😊😊
What are your thoughts?

Billie M

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
This is a great idea!
Personally I struggle to jam, like when I play alone I’m not too bad but when I’m jamming with other people where you have to basically improv with others, I’m very terrible. I don’t know how to improve that..like is there any practice techniques that could help? So if you, or anyone else reading this for that matter, have any idea on how to do that I would be very interested to hear about it.

J

Jak Angelescu

@billie Jamming IS a difficult thing to grasp. I’ve offered my Skype account live on numerous occasions offering for a jam buddy, and I have had some offers but the biggest problem is a time difference; when they’re off work and ready to jam I’ve already been asleep for two hours, lol! If I could give any advice about jamming, you have to be with a great group of people. You all have to vibe and get in a groove with each other. Then getting a good, solid progression down for the band to follow is important. So many players like to go off in their own little world and nothing goes right. As far as improv goes, I gave this advice to another student on here. You need to get comfortable with your scales and listen to what scales can be applied over the chord progression that’s being played. If you’re a beginner with jamming, just pick ONE scale and position you know really well so your confidence can be there. With memory and knowledge of the scale comes confidence, and with confidence comes better leads! Pay attention to your rhythmic approaches as well, let loose, and have fun. Confidence is key in improv/jamming. So many people can’t improv because they think they have to cover every technique, every scale in the key, and every fret on the fretboard and you don’t. Pick one position for the progression and ROCK it, then after you get comfortable with it, try adding another position or changing the key. Hope this helps!

Lauren Morales

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Playing with people helps because you can get instant feedback on what works and doesn’t work. Calaborating with other musicians in person can really help with your playing and confidence. When I Jan with other people, I tend to enjoy playing a bit better than when I Jan by myself. It makes a difference when you interact with musicians face to face. You can learn different guitar techniques from them and it will also help you improve as a musician as well.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
great idea Jak!
@billie A good Jams usually comes from like minded people whom al share the same musical interest! Also if the people your jamming woth also have struggle woth jamming it’s gonna become harder. And then the important stuff knowing your chords/theory etc. also helps a great deal!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
younot able to improvise in front of others because you are freezing up lol. Your mind goes totally blank when put on the spot. So yeah, I can totally understand not knowing what to play. All I can say is feel comfortable in your environment and just play. It’ll come out with time when you are good and ready to share your skills. It’s stage freight more then anything, something I struggle with myself.
For soloing practice, not too sure I have any suggestions on getting better, then to learn other solos, but try to not look up the tabs at first. Give yourself a chance to figure it out for yourself, and then see how close you were to the real deal. YOu’ll find over time you wont be close, but you’ll end up right on the notes you are hearing.

Billie M

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I don’t have stage fright, I just don’t know how to improvise with other musicians so the music we play sounds good. It’s just not how I learned. I play rhythm guitar and I learned all by my self, I lack musical theory to understand which chords to play with what the others are playing. When I play alone, I just play what I think sounds nice, but when I’m playing with others I just don’t understand where they’re going and I don’t know what to do.. When I’m the one starting the jam that’s great, it’s sounds nice, but when I try to follow the others it’s a mess XD

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
what help you at first is try to see where the fingers of thebother guitar player or bass player go. Or really start learning some theory that narrows down what you can and can’t do over a melody or in a certain key. Also the circle of fifths might help with what to do!
Hope this helps

J

Jak Angelescu

@Benjamin although I’m not a beginner, I started in the beginner section of this school and I’m spending a week on each lesson so I can properly apply it. So right now, although I know what economy picking is and I’ve applied it several times, I’m not so sure I’m adequate enough to do a video on it. I’m still in the beginner section and don’t move on the the intermediate section for a few more months 😊

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This is a great idea! I’m sure myself and many others would benefit from hearing how other people approach practice, etc. Personally my biggest struggle is left/right hand syncing at higher tempos/when tremolo/alternate picking. My picking hand just can’t seem to keep up or keep rhythm with my left hand sometimes. So as a result, I economy pick/legato almost everything and rarely alternate pick and to compensate, I’ve put hours into making my hammer-ons/pull-off’s be as prominent as a picked note. Regardless, I’d still like to improve my hand sync, and the exercise videos are certainly helpful, but I’d like to glean as much knowledge as possible during this learning phase.

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Argentina
    i think that would be great, i mean not everybody knows where is that point where you can get the max eficiency for all the excercices and get better and better over the time, i had the same problem a couple a days ago i’ve been playing for 7 years by ear no teachers and i didn’t have a optimum aproach to my excercices so i don’t think i’ve really nailed it at for example playing at great speed like syn does it, so doing that kind of videos will help everybody.