• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Making a living with guitar

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
Is being in a band and session playing really the only ways to make a living?. I thought about trying to join the theatre company in town to work with the band underneath the stage. But I can’t read music and I imagine all the students from the conservatoire will take the places.
I was wondering what other ways their are to make a living as a guitarist especially as being in a band or being a session player is most likely out of reach.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I always thought playing in some sort of succesfull band or being a session player is the only way to make aicing as a guitarist. The Job opportunities and securits in That is not That gook so I just decides to study applied physics and play guitar as a hobby.

Ben Thorpe

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Being a guitar instructor and going to people’s houses and giving them lessons, creating your own music and uploading songs to the Internet, youtube, there are quite a few opportunities for playing guitar for a living other than being in a band. Hope this helps!

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
I agree with Ben, there are more ways than ever these days
to monetize music. To be successful at anything requires you to be proficient at your craft(at the least). Then you can start a YouTube channel, upload music, Skype lessons, etc. Even a seemingly simple grunge band like Nirvana(their music is actually quite harmonically clever) spent countless hours working on songwriting and live performance. They were also very business savvy. Do what you love and do it well!