• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

More questions about making a home studio

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
So I bought an audio interface. (A Behringer UM2) I also downloaded Tracktion(DAW) into my computer. When I was trying out the interface tonight I couldn’t figure out how to get sound to come out of the DAW. I have plugins installed and everything. Then it hit me that I guess I need studio monitors to plug into the interface. I tried using my computer speakers but i guess those dont work. So do I have to buy studio monitors, or will some other type of speaker work? Btw I’m new to all this so any other tips or advice you guys have about making a home recording studio would be helpful.

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
Ok. I went to settings, then audio devices and I was able to change the audio device from Windows audio to ASIO which I think I’m supposed to do. I tested it through my sound speakers and it worked. I just can’t figure out how to make sound come out when I plug my guitar into the interface

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
Yeah you need to add an input on your track to be able to hear it because the signal goes from your guitar to the interface input and then you need to add that input to a track in your DAW in order to continue your signal flow and once you do that you should be able to hear it since you’ve already set your output. It’s a basic signal flow but I know that it can be confusing at the beginning but you’ll figure it out eventually. When you are going to add an input you’ll have 2 inputs available since your interface has 2 inputs (1 combo jack and 1 instrument) and you should plug the guitar into the instrument (INST 2) input because that’s actually a Hi-Z input (high impendance) and basically any instrument with pickups should be connected to the hi-z input. If you connect your guitar into the first input it should still work but it will alter your sound and to avoid that just connect it to input 2.

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
Yeah I added my inputs (1+2) to the track like you guys are talking about. When I press the record button, the DAW picks up the signal taht the guitar is making but I still can’t hear myself. I turned on live input monitoring and that didn’t do anything. Idk it’s just all confusing for me since it’s my first time. Anything else I should try?

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
@filip I don’t have speakers that can plug into my interface but I have speakers that are set up for my computer and Ed said I should be able to adjust the settings in Tracktion to where I can use those instead. I can hear sound comming from the DAW I just can’t hear my guitar yet. Like there’s an audio test button for the ASIO driver I just put in and when I click on it it makes a beep noise. Maybe I need studio monitors to plug into the interface but I’m hoping to use the computer speakers instead

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
Hmm…what kind of speakers do you have? For example if you had speakers that are connected to a subwoofer and that subwoofer is connected to your pc you could plug it out and get a 3.5mm to 6.3 adapter and comnect that into your headphone jack and it would work just fine. I’m just saying that there are ways to connect your speakers to your interface even if they are not compatible.
I don’t know what else to do, maybe someone else has any ideas?

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
I downloaded the Emmissary distortion plugin and I’m using the Nadir cab with it and the distortion just soumds kinda blah. It sucks for rhythm playing the leads are ok but when I play rhythm and switch to the rhythm settings it just soumds like crap compared to my vox amp with the metal distortion. Do you think I got a bad plug in or do I need to mess with the settings more?

Firsty Lasty

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’ve never been able to get a sound I liked from the ignite emissary, and I’ve never heard anyone on youtube get a great sound from it either. LePou is the king of free amp sims, but even those require a lot of experimentation and experience to get great results.
Here’s a super lazy way to get bigger fatness from a mediocre or crappy vst setup: play one track bridge pickup and one identical track neck pickup, perfectly in time with each other of course, put them together and high pass it as hard as you need to so that the kick and bass have room. Is it gonna sound professional and awesome? Lol no. It’s just a trick I used in the past when I didn’t want to spend money or spend time learning anything about producing music.