• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Need help with beginner chord lessons

Farrukh Jafri

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’m on lesson 12, I’ve learned some chords and strumming patterns. The thing is, I got anguitar last week and I AM AN ABSOLUTE BEGINNER, I honestly don’t really know what a chord is :p
So the question I have is, these chord videos that I ahve watched, am I supposed to learn/memorise/remember them? Like so far I’ve watched a video, then right away watched the next one, and I don’t really remember anything up until now. I’ve decided to start again from lesson 1. The question I have is, is it supposed to be like this: watch a video, practice what is taught in it for a day or 2, then go to the next video?
Also, these chords that I have learned, what do I do with them? Like are there any sings that use only these chords? I’m very confused on what to do, I’m new and don’t really have an idea and what I’m learning :p
Another question I have is, are these levtures made for ABSOLUTE beginners?
I hope I am making sense. Thank you!

Farrukh Jafri

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
What I’m basically saying is that I don’t really understand what I’m supposed to do so I just watch a video then go to the next, and generally don’t even remember what I learned in the Prev. Video. I’ve seen some courses where they tell you to practice what to do once you’re done with a video, liek they tel you some songs etc to practice. Shit, I’m not really sense here am I? :p

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Yeah prarticuno the stuff That you’ve learned in tbe video is kind of the point. As for the chordsame, it is really.essential to remember the ch orde. Since in That way when somebody is gonna teach you a song and tell you to play G|D|Em|C, you will know what to play.if you learned barre chords yet you could try to learn Zacky part of so far away, a lot of greenday songs, rhcp songs. I think there is a forum somewhere on beginner songs too

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
I would suggest that you watch a lesson video and then practice that until you learned it. Then move on to the next lesson. Because if you just watch a video and then go to the next one you won’t learn anything. Just watching the lessons won’t make you learn how to play the guitar. You have to practice on your own to do that.
Simply put, chord is atleast 3 different notes played together at the same time. (There are power chords that have only 2 notes but you don’t have to worry about that now.) Play around with the chords that you learned them and try switching from one to another so you get comfortable with them. You can play a lot of songs using only those chords.
Yeah, the lectures are made for absolute beginners. The very video in beginner lessons is “What is a guitar”.
In conclusion, just don’t rush through lessons. Watch the lesson and practice until you are sure that you understand it. Then move on to the next one and do the same thing. Only then you will see the results!

Jen Hapke

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
If I watch the lessons here I allways have a guitar on my lab. Often I pause the video after one thing and then try to repeat the thing as long as I remember it easily.
Some videos won’t take much time and some are full of things I want to remember and are more complex like the CAGED system. I try to do one video on one day in this cases.
In the early lessons, I guess in the 7th, 8th or 9th lessson he explains what a chord is.
Take time to really get the lesson and sometimes i recommend watching them again and again after watching some other videos.

Synner Endless Summer Collection