• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

New here and could use some help!

Will G. Diaz

New Student
Apr 15, 2020
So I'm a junior in highschool and have been playing for about 4-5 years (die hard avenged and iron maiden fan from the beginning) I decided to start taking it seriously about a year and a half ago. I want to work to increase my alternate picking speed. How long should I practice per day? I don't want to overpractice, and tips would be very helpful, Thank you!!!!:)

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Sup fellow deathbat head!...You know what, this is a simple question- but I could write several paragraphs on a ton of important key points, it would be better to just skype you and talk in person. Text me and we can go over some things. btw I spent over 2 years getting the afterlife solo down note for note, and along the way mastered bat country, roman sky, gunslinger, and most of the stage..... So I learned A LOT about improving picking speed to the point of being performance-ready. It should have taken less time but I beat my head against the wall because I didn't know a lot of key things. Hit me up: 720 250 8449
proof -->

Last edited:

Moonrunner

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Galicia
twitter.com
Sup fellow deathbat head!...You know what, this is a simple question- but I could write several paragraphs on a ton of important key points, it would be better to just skype you and talk in person. Text me and we can go over some things. btw I spent over 2 years getting the afterlife solo down note for note, and along the way mastered bat country, roman sky, gunslinger, and most of the stage..... So I learned A LOT about improving picking speed to the point of being performance-ready. It should have taken less time but I beat my head against the wall because I didn't know a lot of key things. Hit me up: 720 250 8449
proof -->
I got my new favorite video on youtube, cheers

Will G. Diaz

New Student
Apr 15, 2020
proof -->
That'd be sick man thanks, I really appreciate it!!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Welcome Will, that's great that you are getting in to your music! This place is an excellent resource, use it.

Jak is right, there isn't a set time that is required, and I completely agree that efficiency is key. An effective 1 hour practice session is better than 3 hours of messing around. Having said that I just want to make sure that you are enjoying playing the guitar. Have some discipline, and practice the more tedious parts of playing guitar(I'm currently working on theory and sight reading sheet music). But just make sure that you aren't putting in time because you feel like you have to, you should want to play. You should want to practice.

To be honest though, it takes thousands of hours to master anything truly difficult. So even if you don't want to, pick up the guitar each day, tell yourself "I'll just put in 15 minutes right now." And if you really do love it, you will find that even if you weren't feeling it at first, that an hour will have gone by and that you enjoyed it!

Reactions: Will G. Diaz

Will G. Diaz

New Student
Apr 15, 2020
Welcome Will, that's great that you are getting in to your music! This place is an excellent resource, use it.

Jak is right, there isn't a set time that is required, and I completely agree that efficiency is key. An effective 1 hour practice session is better than 3 hours of messing around. Having said that I just want to make sure that you are enjoying playing the guitar. Have some discipline, and practice the more tedious parts of playing guitar(I'm currently working on theory and sight reading sheet music). But just make sure that you aren't putting in time because you feel like you have to, you should want to play. You should want to practice.

To be honest though, it takes thousands of hours to master anything truly difficult. So even if you don't want to, pick up the guitar each day, tell yourself "I'll just put in 15 minutes right now." And if you really do love it, you will find that even if you weren't feeling it at first, that an hour will have gone by and that you enjoyed it!
This happens to me all the time lol I'll pick it up just to mess around and end up practicing the alternate picking etudes

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jaxon Muller

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Tulsa, OK
www.imdb.com
So I'm a junior in highschool and have been playing for about 4-5 years (die hard avenged and iron maiden fan from the beginning) I decided to start taking it seriously about a year and a half ago. I want to work to increase my alternate picking speed. How long should I practice per day? I don't want to overpractice, and tips would be very helpful, Thank you!!!!:)
Hi Will, welcome to the community! I've struggled with speed and have been impatient with myself and with the process before, the best advice i can give is what Gates and Vengeance swear by, perfect practice. Practice with the metronome at a bpm that you're able to play every note perfectly without missing. SLOWLY raise speed after each pace when you can play it perfectly. It does take some time, however, you WILL make your goal. Eventually the metronome will reach the desired speed and you'll never miss a note because you've practiced so perfectly. It just takes setting a goal and patience. Remember that all of those players who make it look so easy spent HOURS of practicing to get there, it doesn't happen overnight, and that's ok. With regard to an amount of time, studies show practicing over/after 3 hours typically lacks in quality of results, unless you're in a groove and enjoying it. Don't over-stress or fatigue yourself, go by how you feel and set small goals for yourself while practicing so you have a clear stopping point to the session!

Jaxon Muller

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Tulsa, OK
www.imdb.com
proof -->
Solo is incredible, you're great!

Reactions: Lucas Weiman