• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

new here and trying to find ideas for my band that needs help on how to write a song

anyone got ideas on how to create a song with your friends specifically saying if you guys have a band but all of them are not into one genre what should i do in need of help
we have been playing for 3 to 4 years at a studio all we play was cover song by sevenfold and now we a doing a song for the band and now we are stuck at this song and had no idea what to do what we wanted was something heavy riff driven song and make the crowd go headbang and my lead singer said he wanted to scream on the first few song. any idea on how to bring this band to atleast have one song?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Musically, it starts from an idea. Whether that idea is a riff, a melody, a beat on the drums - whatever. Start with that. Whoever came up with that plays it over and over until someone else "finds" their part around it. If you have a riff, for example, keep playing that riff over and over until the drummer finds the right beat for it. Jam it for a bit. Play it over and over again, fine-tuning it and having fun with it. I find that during that part, I wind up "hearing" where it might go next, and then I just play that, then stop, and fine tune a little, then link both pieces together. Jam the change from one to the other and back again. Grow it, live it, feel it, and then fill in the blanks and stuff until you feel it's semi-complete.

At that point, the lyricist can start writing something, and that may change the arrangement - the number of repetitions of this part or that one, maybe going straight to the "c" part after the second time through the "a" part, instead of the "b" section, etc.

That's one way to go about it.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

tsm

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Jul 12, 2020
    Musically, it starts from an idea. Whether that idea is a riff, a melody, a beat on the drums - whatever. Start with that. Whoever came up with that plays it over and over until someone else "finds" their part around it. If you have a riff, for example, keep playing that riff over and over until the drummer finds the right beat for it. Jam it for a bit. Play it over and over again, fine-tuning it and having fun with it. I find that during that part, I wind up "hearing" where it might go next, and then I just play that, then stop, and fine tune a little, then link both pieces together. Jam the change from one to the other and back again. Grow it, live it, feel it, and then fill in the blanks and stuff until you feel it's semi-complete.

At that point, the lyricist can start writing something, and that may change the arrangement - the number of repetitions of this part or that one, maybe going straight to the "c" part after the second time through the "a" part, instead of the "b" section, etc.

That's one way to go about it.
    To piggy-back off this, keep a pen/notepad on you. There have been so many times an idea has popped in my head at the strangest of places, only to forget it because I didn't jot it down real quick. Same for this sort of jam-session to find what works. When you get something that sticks, write it down in your notepad real quick, for memory's sake. Then you can easily reference this at a moment's notice if something comes to mind, say, while out shopping for groceries.

Reactions: Ed Seith