• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Online lessons from a teacher

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Hi all

Last year I had some lessons of a guitar teacher. Then I stopped, because I wanted to explore more myself. teacher was a really nice and helpfull guy, but I dont think he could help me on some stuff, like technique on vibrato/bending. He really could help and gave advice, but I sometimes didnt understand what he meant and he could not explain different.

Now I am at the moment I would like some lessons again and thinking about online Skype lessons, but was wondering what youre experiences with that is? A Dutch female guitarist I really like does these lessons with Skype, so thinking about buying some lessons, but am wondering if it can help me with some technique part, because it is with Skype. But it will sure motivate me to play with a guitarist I really like

Reactions: Jak Angelescu

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
They generally feel normal, however when teachers are trying to explain physical things like angles of hands, mechanical motions, etc, things can take a couple extra seconds or minutes to explain because they might have to move their camera to get the right angle for you to understand. This is generally not a big issue tho. And worst case scenario, pay for one lesson that ends up being not very helpful, and you'll never have to do it again. Maybe tell your teacher upfront you are skeptical of the lesson format and ask him/her if you are not satisfied can you have your money back. Good luck!

Reactions: Kim
J

Jak Angelescu

Hi all

Last year I had some lessons of a guitar teacher. Then I stopped, because I wanted to explore more myself. teacher was a really nice and helpfull guy, but I dont think he could help me on some stuff, like technique on vibrato/bending. He really could help and gave advice, but I sometimes didnt understand what he meant and he could not explain different.

Now I am at the moment I would like some lessons again and thinking about online Skype lessons, but was wondering what youre experiences with that is? A Dutch female guitarist I really like does these lessons with Skype, so thinking about buying some lessons, but am wondering if it can help me with some technique part, because it is with Skype. But it will sure motivate me to play with a guitarist I really like

Aside from the fact that Dominik is right lol. Bill Hudson is my teacher on here and he is actually a teacher of another student as well. I found him through a video from ESP Guitars, who endorses him. He is an incredible guitarist. He played for Trans Siberian Orchestra and has his own band Northtale, who is signed by nuclear blast which is a major label. He also went to musician's institute and was taught by Kiko Loureiro (someone Syn idolizes)and I actually went live with some of his students to demonstrate just how incredible he's been and how much we've learned with him. If you would like to try him out, let me know and I will hook it up because he gives my students on here a free introductory lesson for a specific time.
Another thing that I like about him, is that I'm a slow learner. And he had no problem sending me personalized videos throughout the week when I was having trouble with something. He also sends you the tabs of what you are supposed to be working on, keeps you focused and on track and also sends you lesson recaps that he types up for you if you forget something.🙂🙂

Synner Endless Summer Collection
J

Jak Angelescu

Hi all

I would also like to say that even if you choose not to go with him, getting private lessons is incredibly beneficial and as long as you find somebody that you click with that's all that matters!

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
@Lucas Weiman you are just saying what I was thinking :) That it maybe takes more time, but I can always try it out, if its not what I want I can always stop (not asking for refund, im too scared to do so lol)

@Ids Schiere its mostly meant for technique, and theory, so good to know that that works through Skype.

@Jak Angelescu Ive seen your topics about your enthousiasm for private teacher and how much he has learned you, thats so great to see. I had private teacher before and I really liked it, it motivates so much and the personal help is nice.
Ive seen how much you have improved from your lessons, although I found you already a very good guitar player!

The only thing with Bill would be that he teaches in English (i think he doesnt speak dutch :p), I would prefer dutch teacher because its easier for me to understand, but youre saying that he is so helpfull with extra tabs and videos make me doubt.. I have to think about it :)
The guitar teacher I have in mind, is someone i really like, because i like the bands she playes in, and I met her at a concert and i was nervous to speak to her, like a child who meets his idol, lol, she was very nice.

So conclusion for me, I can take Skype lessons and will do that. Now Im gonna decide to go for Bill or the other one :)

J

Jak Angelescu

@Lucas Weiman you are just saying what I was thinking :) That it maybe takes more time, but I can always try it out, if its not what I want I can always stop (not asking for refund, im too scared to do so lol)

@Ids Schiere its mostly meant for technique, and theory, so good to know that that works through Skype.

@Jak Angelescu Ive seen your topics about your enthousiasm for private teacher and how much he has learned you, thats so great to see. I had private teacher before and I really liked it, it motivates so much and the personal help is nice.
Ive seen how much you have improved from your lessons, although I found you already a very good guitar player!

The only thing with Bill would be that he teaches in English (i think he doesnt speak dutch :p), I would prefer dutch teacher because its easier for me to understand, but youre saying that he is so helpfull with extra tabs and videos make me doubt.. I have to think about it :)
The guitar teacher I have in mind, is someone i really like, because i like the bands she playes in, and I met her at a concert and i was nervous to speak to her, like a child who meets his idol, lol, she was very nice.

So conclusion for me, I can take Skype lessons and will do that. Now Im gonna decide to go for Bill or the other one :)

I can easily understand why that would be a preference for you! I really hope that whoever you pick is going to be the best teacher you could ever ask for! I just think it's great that you are taking the initiative because personal lessons really have been very helpful for me. It helps me to make sense of what I've learned on here too!

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
I would recommend you to try. I got an online teacher too and my experience is really good.
It’s not like Skype lessons. In my case, I send videos of me playing and he answers my questions and gives me his feedback on another video. Totally 1:1 attention and at my own pace. He is basically helping me with technique and I would say it’s working.
What’s most important is that you feel really comfortable with the teacher you choose, and that you get on well with each other.
It is very important too that the teacher understands how to respect your learning process, but pushing you a little bit further at the same time (Dave, my teacher is really good at that). Also, somebody that helps you keep your focus on what you really need to improve.
You want your lessons in Dutch and I think that‘s the best choice, because it is essential that you make sure that you understand each other perfectly. I found myself another reference in my own language, in Spanish , for theory, because even though I can follow in English pretty well, sometimes I don’t know the names of some things in my language and it feels ridiculous when I’m speaking about music theory with someone in Spanish 😂
Good luck!🍀

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
I would recommend you to try. I got an online teacher too and my experience is really good.
It’s not like Skype lessons. In my case, I send videos of me playing and he answers my questions and gives me his feedback on another video. Totally 1:1 attention and at my own pace. He is basically helping me with technique and I would say it’s working.
What’s most important is that you feel really comfortable with the teacher you choose, and that you get on well with each other.
It is very important too that the teacher understands how to respect your learning process, but pushing you a little bit further at the same time (Dave, my teacher is really good at that). Also, somebody that helps you keep your focus on what you really need to improve.
You want your lessons in Dutch and I think that‘s the best choice, because it is essential that you make sure that you understand each other perfectly. I found myself another reference in my own language, in Spanish , for theory, because even though I can follow in English pretty well, sometimes I don’t know the names of some things in my language and it feels ridiculous when I’m speaking about music theory with someone in Spanish 😂
Good luck!🍀
Good to hear you have such a nice teacher and he helps you so well

I decided to do the lessons in my language and ordered an online private lesson, hope its scheduled soon!
Thanks all for thinking with me, i really think private lessons will gonna help me improve:)

• Love
Reactions: Mariler

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
Good to hear you have such a nice teacher and he helps you so well

I decided to do the lessons in my language and ordered an online private lesson, hope its scheduled soon!
Thanks all for thinking with me, i really think private lessons will gonna help me improve:)
Hopefully your experience will be great!! Go for it!!

Synner Endless Summer Collection