• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Picking hand positioning? Hand Support?

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Whaddup synners?

So. I recently watched an interview with Jason Richardson and he talked about playing in classical position ( which I adopted a couple of weeks ago) and the picking hand positioning. Having heard and seen that, I of course tried to adopt that too into my playing.
Here is my issue.
My picking hand is pretty sloppy. I always need my pinky finger as support for playing lead. How do you play without the pinky as support?!

Lemme ilustrate with pictures.

Any videos or tips and tricks to improve my picking hand positioning for more efficient playing?

Attachments

• Old way.jpg
    Old way.jpg
    996.8 KB · Views: 89

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Whaddup synners?

So. I recently watched an interview with Jason Richardson and he talked about playing in classical position ( which I adopted a couple of weeks ago) and the picking hand positioning. Having heard and seen that, I of course tried to adopt that too into my playing.
Here is my issue.
My picking hand is pretty sloppy. I always need my pinky finger as support for playing lead. How do you play without the pinky as support?!

Any videos or tips and tricks to improve my picking hand positioning for more efficient playing?
Hell dude i wish i could tell you but idk why my hand does it, but if i change from chugging, to leads, to classical position leads my hand just adjusts on its own. Before i learned to sweep (which caused me to start anchoring) i was a devout randy rhoads player, who of course always played classical position. my hand just does its thing and adjusts accordingly lol. I Still kind of am a lot like that, but i digress.

My advice would be practice very slowly in classical position, without anchoring your pinky. Run your scales, but stay mindful of your anchoring. You pretty much gotta change your muscle memory, or add to it rather. Like anything, walk before you run man! Practice!

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Whaddup synners?

Here is my issue.

Also dude support yourself on the bridge! Almost as if your palm muting, but you’re only muting the strings your not playing. Also, using your pinky for support takes away from your attack, since it looks like your hand is completely off the guitar. If you rest on the bridge you have a lot more control over how sloppy/clean your playing is

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Hell dude i wish i could tell you but idk why my hand does it, but if i change from chugging, to leads, to classical position leads my hand just adjusts on its own. Before i learned to sweep (which caused me to start anchoring) i was a devout randy rhoads player, who of course always played classical position. my hand just does its thing and adjusts accordingly lol. I Still kind of am a lot like that, but i digress.

My advice would be practice very slowly in classical position, without anchoring your pinky. Run your scales, but stay mindful of your anchoring. You pretty much gotta change your muscle memory, or add to it rather. Like anything, walk before you run man! Practice!
Thanks mate. Classical positioning is no issue anymore. But anchoring very much so. I will work on it.

Reactions: Jesse Salmons

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Also dude support yourself on the bridge! Almost as if your palm muting, but you’re only muting the strings your not playing. Also, using your pinky for support takes away from your attack, since it looks like your hand is completely off the guitar. If you rest on the bridge you have a lot more control over how sloppy/clean your playing is
Damn....the bridge of course.

Reactions: Jesse Salmons

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Damn....the bridge of course.
Yeah dude i always rest my hand on the bridge it just works for me and thats what a lot of players do. Watch papa gates and syn’s hands in the lessons! Emulate what they do! Hell i think theres even a lesson on this somewhere on the site. Good luck brother!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Nashville tn.
Thats a piece of info i needed thank you

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Wellp...I have been anchoring my arm on the bridge of my guitar, and to be honest my hand feels so much more free. I need now to control this new freedom. But thanks for the tip. I bet I can build much more speed this way.
Oh for sure man. Gives you a lot more control! Glad i could help

• Love
Reactions: Christian Schulze

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Wellp...I have been anchoring my arm on the bridge of my guitar, and to be honest my hand feels so much more free. I need now to control this new freedom. But thanks for the tip. I bet I can build much more speed this way.
    Your arm on the bridge? I can't visualise that in my mind.

Reactions: Christian Schulze