• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Picking hand

Joseph

New Student
Mar 21, 2020
Hey guys, a weeks ago i realized that whenever i play fast licks, i tense a lot so i desided to change the way i pick just like the way papa gates explained it in the video...the problem is, i feel like i'm starting from the beginning and i can't play fast anymore.
I'm playing veeery slowly with meternome, will i be able to play faster in a short time or it's going to be like i'm just learning the guitar.
F*** bad habbits

Ben newton

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
www.instagram.com
The thing with bad habits is they can really affect your development later on down the line, if not sooner. This is because constant tension can cause issues with muscles, tendons, stress etc. Stuff that can really take you out of practice for a number of weeks or months if serious. Try not to see it so much as "I cant play fast anymore" but more "Im making positive development with the right technique". You might not be as fast, but the notes you play now may have more power and confidence, that could later on be sped up. I've been playing for 15 years now, and have recently decided to alter my picking technique for a more effective performance. It's taken me a number of weeks, but I know at the end I would have made the right decision for development purposes.

What you will find (or what I have found) is you often develop a few different picking styles in order to cater for certain styles or genres. For example, if you approached a John Petrucci lick with a funk rhythm technique, its not going to happen. And vice versa.

Take your time with it. 1 week isnt really much when it comes to practice. It sounds like from what you have said by the end of your comment that you also use a metronome and are using it very slow. This is great! No one can say how long this takes, it really does depend on how you learn, what you learn, when you learn and how all that just folds in together.

Hope this helps!

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    it Does take some time to get rid of bad habits, I know it’s annoying as hell but sooner than later you’ll be playing like you used to before. For some people it takes months and others a week or two.we all learn at different speeds. Playing with a metronome slowly like you said your doing is a great start! I know it’s boring and feels too slow but it will really help! I had the some problem as you and what I always do before I play is stretch out my arms and wrists and if I’m playing sitting down I make sure to sit as straight as possible to kinda loosen up my body so I’m not stiff
    Good luck!!

Reactions: Joseph

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I still use 3 fingers. I can tell you right now I'd have to do the exact same thing as you.. start from scratch. Some bad habits are easier the others. I myself haven't made the switch yet. But I also havent found many restrictions with how I pick.

Reactions: Joseph
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Joseph

New Student
    Mar 21, 2020
    The thing with bad habits is they can really affect your development later on down the line, if not sooner. This is because constant tension can cause issues with muscles, tendons, stress etc. Stuff that can really take you out of practice for a number of weeks or months if serious. Try not to see it so much as "I cant play fast anymore" but more "Im making positive development with the right technique". You might not be as fast, but the notes you play now may have more power and confidence, that could later on be sped up. I've been playing for 15 years now, and have recently decided to alter my picking technique for a more effective performance. It's taken me a number of weeks, but I know at the end I would have made the right decision for development purposes.

What you will find (or what I have found) is you often develop a few different picking styles in order to cater for certain styles or genres. For example, if you approached a John Petrucci lick with a funk rhythm technique, its not going to happen. And vice versa.

Take your time with it. 1 week isnt really much when it comes to practice. It sounds like from what you have said by the end of your comment that you also use a metronome and are using it very slow. This is great! No one can say how long this takes, it really does depend on how you learn, what you learn, when you learn and how all that just folds in together.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks man!! It really did help and motivated me to keep going!! Really appreciate your worda

Joseph

New Student
    Mar 21, 2020
    it Does take some time to get rid of bad habits, I know it’s annoying as hell but sooner than later you’ll be playing like you used to before. For some people it takes months and others a week or two.we all learn at different speeds. Playing with a metronome slowly like you said your doing is a great start! I know it’s boring and feels too slow but it will really help! I had the some problem as you and what I always do before I play is stretch out my arms and wrists and if I’m playing sitting down I make sure to sit as straight as possible to kinda loosen up my body so I’m not stiff
    Good luck!!
    I really don't care how boring it is...all what i want is to be a great guitar player, even if i had to sell my soul ...jk haha
    Thank you so.much for ur words!!

• Love
    Reactions: Kat the metalhead

Joseph

New Student
    Mar 21, 2020
    G
    I still use 3 fingers. I can tell you right now I'd have to do the exact same thing as you.. start from scratch. Some bad habits are easier the others. I myself haven't made the switch yet. But I also havent found many restrictions with how I pick.
    Goodluck man!! Breaking a bad habbit is really AN ASS sometimes but we gotta do it for the shredzzzz

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    G

Goodluck man!! Breaking a bad habbit is really AN ASS sometimes but we gotta do it for the shredzzzz
    Well I've already looked at the difference and even palm muting will be different. Theres a lot of things I'm working on right now but I gotta do it one at a time or ill over whelm myself. Quite honestly I dont see how you hold the pick as a good or a bad habit. It depends on how it restricts you. I've never had unwanted tension the way I'm doing it or I wouldnt do it that way. Never experienced pain in any way due to playing atleast. My wrist situations come from my job at work.

Joseph

New Student
    Mar 21, 2020
    Well I've already looked at the difference and even palm muting will be different. Theres a lot of things I'm working on right now but I gotta do it one at a time or ill over whelm myself. Quite honestly I dont see how you hold the pick as a good or a bad habit. It depends on how it restricts you. I've never had unwanted tension the way I'm doing it or I wouldnt do it that way. Never experienced pain in any way due to playing atleast. My wrist situations come from my job at work.
    That's cool man!!
    And i noticed a lot of tension in my wrist when i try to play fast
    I spebt literally weeks and months to play the fast pentatonic lick in seize the day solo by a7x and i still suck at it cuz of the tension
    It got really frasturating and annying, so i had to be honest with my self and relearn my picking technique
    Cuz i wanna pick the notes in that lick and not using pull offs

Synner Endless Summer Collection