• Having issues viewing lessons?

We're currently experiencing an issue with the video system we use and will get this fixed soon!

Playing guitar recently

anttofm

One Stringer
Dec 21, 2021
I've been playing guitar for a while, and I've only started with power chords back in March of this year. I've been loving playing along with songs that I like for the past 2 weeks (I've mostly focused on practicing certain techniques without playing, so I'm implementing more playing time now). I've been playing Dammit by blink-182 and I've slowed it down in my DAW to about 40BPM. For some reason, I choke when it comes to palm muting after the intro to the first verse, and I seem to have an issue where there's a noticeable gap in between shifting up from the C power chord to the G power chord, unlike the record. What can I do to make that shift sound more smooth? Should I slow the song down even more than that? What could I be doing better?

Reactions: William B.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Might depend on how you're playing the chords. Dammit features a C-G-A-F progression for the verses. If you play the C and G in the 3rd position, the A in the open position, and the F in the 1st position, they're very close together and you can move from one to the other with reasonable speed. If, however, you're trying to do it all on 6th-string power chords, then you're looking at 8th, 3rd, 5th, and 1st positions, which will go a LOT slower and not sound smooth at all.

So the question is, how are you playing it? Can you post a video? You can post unlisted to YouTube and then share here.

Upvote 0

anttofm

One Stringer
    Dec 21, 2021
    I'd say I'm playing it the second way. I might be making it a bit more difficult on myself because I'm playing using a 7 string in Drop A (meaning that the top 6 strings are in standard), so I might have to work a bit harder to play the A power chord in open position... but I'll try that tomorrow and see if that makes it a bit easier to play. As for shifting from C to G, is there any way to make the gap in between less noticeable?

Upvote 0

Brian G

New Student
    Oct 11, 2022
    Might depend on how you're playing the chords. Dammit features a C-G-A-F progression for the verses. If you play the C and G in the 3rd position, the A in the open position, and the F in the 1st position, they're very close together and you can move from one to the other with reasonable speed. If, however, you're trying to do it all on 6th-string power chords, then you're looking at 8th, 3rd, 5th, and 1st positions, which will go a LOT slower and not sound smooth at all.

So the question is, how are you playing it? Can you post a video? You can post unlisted to YouTube and then share here.
    I'll have to figure out the video thing. But I'm playing the 6th string power chord, in the key of A

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I'd say I'm playing it the second way. I might be making it a bit more difficult on myself because I'm playing using a 7 string in Drop A (meaning that the top 6 strings are in standard), so I might have to work a bit harder to play the A power chord in open position... but I'll try that tomorrow and see if that makes it a bit easier to play. As for shifting from C to G, is there any way to make the gap in between less noticeable?
    The 7 won't matter. Here's the tab for the chords (leaving out the palm muted bits to keep it simple.

e ------------------------------------------------------- B ------------------------------------------------------- G --5-------2-------------------------------------------- D --5---5---2---3---------------------------------------- A --3---5---0---3---------------------------------------- E ------3-------1---------------------------------------- A ------------------------------------------------------- C G A F

Upvote 0