• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Progressive Metal Writing

Rezasa

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Indonesia
    www.youtube.com
    Hello guys! Recently I listen to some Progressive Metal songs like Plini, Dream Theater, Intervals, Animals As Leaders so I get the influences to write metal prog songs for my band.
    What prog metal time signature is cool and comfortable to play beside 5/4, 7/8/ 9/8?

And I want to know your opinion about my latest song here, thanks!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    12/8 and 3/4 are pretty cool too! I think Paul Gilbert goes a little crazy with weird time signatures too on his latest record and vibrato so maybe check those out.

The occasional bar of 2/4 in between can also sound really cool. I think Avenged used that in Exist

I forgot to bring my headphones so I can't listen to your cover now. Will do that later!

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    I like the song. I listen to all of those bands that you wrote and I definitelly hear some Plini influence, the lick at 0:56 really reminds me of "Electric Sunrise". I'm not sure about the time signatures but just look at the ones that aal, dt, plini and intervals usually play and use those. Drums also play a really important role in the progressive music so you can't slack on them but you did a good job on programming them. The intro drums sound like something Polyphia would use and then the rest is more like intervals or plini.

Rezasa

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Indonesia
    www.youtube.com
    12/8 and 3/4 are pretty cool too! I think Paul Gilbert goes a little crazy with weird time signatures too on his latest record and vibrato so maybe check those out.

The occasional bar of 2/4 in between can also sound really cool. I think Avenged used that in Exist

I forgot to bring my headphones so I can't listen to your cover now. Will do that later!
    12/8 and 3/4 are some common time signature, and yes they are sounds cool.
    I want something like 13/8 in Electric Sunrise by Plini but they are too hard to create for a new song

That's good, you should listen with headphones, the mix is not too good to listen on Phone speaker or laptop speaker.

Reactions: Ezequiel Romanko
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rezasa

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Indonesia
    www.youtube.com
    Love your song! In the last time I hear a lot of Periphery. My favorites are 7/8 and 5/4.
    But isn't your song in 4/4?
    Anyway the transition from clean to distorted sounds great!
    Glad you loved it! 7/8 feels good, and 5/4 feels really calm like Lingus by Snarky Puppy.
    Yes it is 4/4, I am planning to write one with odd time signature in the future.
    Thanks! I put a lot of work on the mixing.

Reactions: Cedric L

Rezasa

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Indonesia
    www.youtube.com
    I like the song. I listen to all of those bands that you wrote and I definitelly hear some Plini influence, the lick at 0:56 really reminds me of "Electric Sunrise". I'm not sure about the time signatures but just look at the ones that aal, dt, plini and intervals usually play and use those. Drums also play a really important role in the progressive music so you can't slack on them but you did a good job on programming them. The intro drums sound like something Polyphia would use and then the rest is more like intervals or plini.
    Glad you liked it ! The lick at 0:56, I think it's quite similar from "Every Piece Matters".
    Of course, drums are the most important. It has to be really tight and groovy over some odd changing time signature.
    Thanks, I use EZDrummer 2 and stock drum plugins from Logic Pro X, they sounded really good and easy to use.

Reactions: Filip Tomiša

Rezasa

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Indonesia
    www.youtube.com
    Been a while buddy nice to see you around again!

I dont really know and newer bands honestly. I'm afraid to listen to new music these days lol
    It's good to be back here buddy! New website looks really nice, and I love the UI.

You should try listen to some, like Plini and Animals As Leaders. So groovy, tight, catchy and unpredictable.

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    Prog is life dude!!! XD Its my favorite style! I think you nailed it! I think prog musicians like to change time like they go from 3/4 to 5/4 then they go to 6/8.... Its really cool. Dream Theater loves to do it. Like In the Presence of Enemies they are always changing the time

Reactions: Rezasa

Rezasa

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Indonesia
    www.youtube.com
    I love the melodies! What kind of intervals or keys are you using to get that sound? Also what are those chords? They sound very jazzy!
    The intro parts are sus9, major7. The melodies are major7, sus9, Bb dorian. But I added E and Dbminor in the first chord of last two part. And the tuning was drop C#. glad you loved it!

• Love
    Reactions: Autumn

Rezasa

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Indonesia
    www.youtube.com
    Prog is life dude!!! XD Its my favorite style! I think you nailed it! I think prog musicians like to change time like they go from 3/4 to 5/4 then they go to 6/8.... Its really cool. Dream Theater loves to do it. Like In the Presence of Enemies they are always changing the time
    Prog is love xD Thanks! They are some good time signature, if it keep changing in one song that sounds awesome and need so much focus to play.
    Yeaah Dream Theater do that in soo many songs, I think the best one is The Dance of Eternity.

• Love
    Reactions: Rute Rodrigues