• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Singing and playing

Kirstin Deal

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
What I found works best for me, personally, is playing the guitar part until it’s second nature and I no longer have to think about it. I then try to do the same with vocals. I’d play the guitar part until it is muscle memory and I no longer have to think about it, and I’d maybe put a bit more consciousness into the singing. I suppose you could do it the other way if that works best for you: have the lyrics memorized to the point where you can rely on your subconscious and you can make the notes you sing muscle memory which allows you to put more thought into the guitar playing if you need it. Whichever works best for you. What could be even better is making BOTH muscle memory and you don’t have to think about much at all.

Angel Graves

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I agree with the comments here. Expanding on some of them, in my experience, I like to do guitar excersizes and vocal warmups at the same time. Additionaly, I’ll practice my guitar parts until muscle memory takes over and then focus more on the vocal parts.
You may want to keep in mind, if you are the front-person in your band, it’s better to take a pause where it makes sense in the song and have full control over your vocal part. Again, it takes a a productive type of practice regimen. Best wishes!

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
My goal is to become a singer/guitarist in a band one day, so like James Hetfield, Matt Heafy and people like that. It’s a loooooong way to go though, haha. Besides guitar, I also practice screaming, because I can’t sing well yet. For singing it’s the best to have a vocal coach, and that’s what I’ll do, but for now I’ll focus on guitar learning first.
So my advice is to get a vocal coach once you’re able to play guitar decently. If you are already a decent guitar player, try to find a vocal coach asap.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jamie Burton

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’m still trying to tackle this too. But I’ve found it really easy (and fun) just playing the root notes, and singing over the top, over and over, until it’s just natural.
After awhile, I throw in next few notes, and play them over and over whilst singing.
Then it’s a case of rinse and repeat