• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Starting a Band (Question)

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey fellas, I’ve always wanted to start a band or be in a band, and I’ve gotten the opportunity to work with two cover band startups in high school with some close friends, but I was wondering: If I wanna start a legit band, what the hell is the first step?? Is there some kind of networking that needs to be done? Do I just need to find some cool guys and say, “Hey, wanna be in a band?”
    Probably sounds like a really dumb question but I thought I may as well pick some brains since this is the place to do so.

Bianca Long

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    “When I think about kids watching a TV show like American Idol or The Voice, then they think, ‘Oh, OK, that’s how you become a musician, you stand in line for eight fucking hours with 800 people at a convention center and… then you sing your heart out for someone and then they tell you it’s not fuckin’ good enough.’ Can you imagine?” he implores. “It’s destroying the next generation of musicians! Musicians should go to a yard sale and buy and old fucking drum set and get in their garage and just suck. And get their friends to come in and they’ll suck, too. And then they’ll fucking start playing and they’ll have the best time they’ve ever had in their lives and then all of a sudden they’ll become Nirvana. Because that’s exactly what happened with Nirvana. Just a bunch of guys that had some shitty old instruments and they got together and started playing some noisy-ass shit, and they became the biggest band in the world. That can happen again! You don’t need a fucking computer or the internet or The Voice or American Idol.” – Dave Grohl

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Well, meeting people is the first step obviously. If there is a music scene where you’re from, I suggest connecting with those people, going to shows etc, that’s how you meet possible band members.
    I also want to start a legit band, but I’m planning on starting it why my friend who lives in Canada, so I have to figure out how I’m going to move from Europe to Canada haha.

Lewis Blake

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Network, network, network.
    Find good musicians, but more importantly, people you gel with. When you’re creating your own music with others, it’s pretty personal, and if you’ve got a good social bond with them, I think that’s crucial.
    Then, get the songs together, and get out there.