• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Thumb Pain

Alex Hall

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I always get thumb pain when playing barre chords! I have been playing for 5 coming onto 6 years now!! I try to relax my thumb and use as little pressure as i can when holding the neck as i’m playing a barre. Does anybody else get this and is there a solution to for this?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
When i have to play barre for a long period of time(4-5 minutes) without any kind of break from it I get cramps. Usually what i do at that point is playing barre chords the jimi hendrix way with the thumb over the top

Kent Lindsay

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
One way to avoid cramps and pain is to warm your hands up before playing. Stretch and massage them to help get the blood flowing through and loosen them up.
Then get your guitar and do some hand exercises on it. Start off slow and speed up as you go. Watch your technique to ensure you are not putting any undue pressure on your wrist or fingers. If you feel yourself tightening up, stop playing, relax your hands and start again at a slightly slower tempo.
If I try to start shredding without warming up my hands and arms will tense up and my playing becomes sloppy.

Tory Capman

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
I get similar pain with bar chords which has made me avoid them for years. I’ve recently been trying to use them more to expand my chord knowledge (I hate all B chords), would using a finger exerciser help strengthen the hand and eliminate the pain?

Synner Endless Summer Collection