• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tips for writing riffs/solos/songs?

Markus Nick

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Listen too music you like. Ive got a lot of my riffs from there. They are just in my head 😀
It starts with a melody for the chorus and one by one I add more parts that fit. Its an ongoing process for me. You add, delete, change parts as long until you are happy with it.
Btw I use TuxGuitar. Software can help you.

D K

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Belgium
I don’t have any experience with writing songs but I saw this video of Steve Vai a while ago where he explains how he came up with “for the love of god”. It might be helpful to create your own music. Now, whenever I accidently come up with a riff/lick/whatever that sounds good I record. Maybe someday I’ll have enough material to make song.

Synner Endless Summer Collection
J

Jak Angelescu

You know what’s funny, I used to be stuck in that same rut. But here is what I had to learn. I would shut myself down before I would even let the song bloom. You have to start with just a simple chord progression and because I’m the only guitarist that writes the music in my band, it can be really hard to hear a song coming from a chord progression. But if you take Burn it Down by Avenged Sevenfold for example, that is the most typical pop-punk progression known to mankind in the beginning. It’s also a very typical rhythm part on the open D string during the verse. The point of this is, is that Melody and the rest of the band such as the drums will make the song sound different than everything else. Look how many songs Blink 182 wrote with nearly the same exact chord progression. Allow yourself to sound cliche at 1st and the more you play it, the more ideas will come to your head that will really make the song bloom. I would try using your phone recording a sound file with just the voice recording feature, if you have it, and record a simple chord progression and try to write a cool Melody over it. Either lead guitar or vocals. I have a song that has been in the works for 10 years because the more I learn the better and more cooler it becomes. You have to allow the song to get out first before you beat it down and shut it off. It will suck and sound cliche in the beginning but let it grow 🙂 the more time you put into it it’ll grow and sound really cool in no time.

Reactions: mingus

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Yeah classical music is awesome! I personally really like vivaldi and paganini stuff. I just don’t know how to do the whole rhythm thing Syn is talking about(maybe that is because my mind is a bit more focused on melody) any help on that?

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
A question for Syn: when you write riffs, what’s the first thing you do? Do you just hit a “random” chord and start building a riff around it? Because in my personal exploring, I just hit some chord and try to do connect other chords that sound cool with it.
This question may be dumb for advanced players, but I have to ask if I want to create my own thing one day lol.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
@daniel I usually just noodle around and come up with the start in that way then from there I really start focusing on which scales and which chord go well with those scales and also key changes and stuff like that. Hooe this helps

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
What’s wrong with the generic power chords? Even a few of the a7x songs are based around the D C Bb C D chord progressions, which is a really common chord progression. I can relate to what jak said. I am also the soul writer of a band so when I’m writing riffs on my own it’s difficult to envision what a song will sound like with drums, rhythm and vocals. You can turn into your own worst enemy because everything you write you think will suck. I would suggest saving every riff you write even if it’s just on the microphone that’s built into your phone. What sounds like a sucky riff now may work for you in a few months/years from now. If you like mastodon new album, their are riffs on there that have been in the works for years. Plus other people’s input to your ideas always helps.