• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tube replacement for a Marshall DSL 40C

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hey Alicia!

Okay so I am going to be very honest with you there and dont be scared because it might not be the case but, are you sure that its the tubes? I work (worked :( ) at a music store and we had giant issues with the marshall DSL series because of how they were made.

Again, might not be your case but id rather let you know upfront!

Okay so if we ignore the first part, the only thing you need to keep in mind is to put the right type of tubes in your amp.

If i remember right, the DSL 40c has 4 12AX7 tubes and 2 EL34 Power tubes

Now the power tubes must be a matched pair but luckily they are sold in match pairs.

As for the 12AX7 tubes, they are sold individually so you can just buy 4.

Now as for the brands, some say that there is a difference between brands some says there is not. Thats pretty much for you to see, I wont voice my opinion but I would say that if you would buy the tubes from the same brand, you shouldnt have any issue anyways. I usually recommend JJ or electro-harmonix. Mesa-Boogie are overpriced in my opinion!

Hope I helped!

• Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Hey Alicia!

Okay so I am going to be very honest with you there and dont be scared because it might not be the case but, are you sure that its the tubes? I work (worked :( ) at a music store and we had giant issues with the marshall DSL series because of how they were made.

Again, might not be your case but id rather let you know upfront!

Okay so if we ignore the first part, the only thing you need to keep in mind is to put the right type of tubes in your amp.

If i remember right, the DSL 40c has 4 12AX7 tubes and 2 EL34 Power tubes

Now the power tubes must be a matched pair but luckily they are sold in match pairs.

As for the 12AX7 tubes, they are sold individually so you can just buy 4.

Now as for the brands, some say that there is a difference between brands some says there is not. Thats pretty much for you to see, I wont voice my opinion but I would say that if you would buy the tubes from the same brand, you shouldnt have any issue anyways. I usually recommend JJ or electro-harmonix. Mesa-Boogie are overpriced in my opinion!

Hope I helped!
    Thank you Radu ! And yeah we are pretty certain it’s the tubes. It was used when we got it and it does have the original tubes so they’re pretty old. We put some JJ tubes in our other amp ( a Blackstar) and they’ve been great but considering this was a Marshall amp abs I don’t want to get caught up in names, but I always assumed it was better, was curious if people chose different brand replacements.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Thank you Radu ! And yeah we are pretty certain it’s the tubes. It was used when we got it and it does have the original tubes so they’re pretty old. We put some JJ tubes in our other amp ( a Blackstar) and they’ve been great but considering this was a Marshall amp abs I don’t want to get caught up in names, but I always assumed it was better, was curious if people chose different brand replacements.
    Ah perfect then! If it was an old one, perhaps it was a better batch! Im crossing my fingers for you!

But yeah sometimes people do switch brands but there isnt (as much as I know) a particular brand that every marshall user praise so JJ is a very safe choice in my humble opinion. You will be just fine with them!

• Love

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Ah perfect then! If it was an old one, perhaps it was a better batch! Im crossing my fingers for you!

But yeah sometimes people do switch brands but there isnt (as much as I know) a particular brand that every marshall user praise so JJ is a very safe choice in my humble opinion. You will be just fine with them!
    Awesome sauce ! You had me a bit worried haha. It’s really been a great amp honeslty. But it was used so I knew there would likely be some maintenance involved. Just want to make sure I’m making a good choice in my replacement. Thank you so much dude ! I really appreciate you !

• Love
    Reactions: Rad Synner

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Awesome sauce ! You had me a bit worried haha. It’s really been a great amp honeslty. But it was used so I knew there would likely be some maintenance involved. Just want to make sure I’m making a good choice in my replacement. Thank you so much dude ! I really appreciate you !
    Hey my absolute pleasure! To be honest with you, better used than new because used at least you know that it works! So no worries about it, if you hadnt problem with it then its gonna be just fine :) And my absolute pleasure! Anytime :giggle:

Stay awesome! 🤟

• Love
    Synner Endless Summer Collection