• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Underrated guitarists

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    A few underrated guitarists that come to mind off of the top of my head are David Davidson from Revocation. Besides having phenomenal technical abilities I'm quite impressed with his extensive knowledge of jazz and his way of incorporating it into extremely technical death metal.

In a similar way the dynamic duo from Between the Buried and Me, Dustie Waring and Paul Waggoner. Great guitarists who I feel really have their own voice in their genre as well as doing an excellent job at mixing genres.

Mark Morton I wouldn't say is extremely underrated but I would say that he too frequently gets put under the one trick pony label due to his fame with Lamb of God. His solo stuff's been really good and pretty diverse and consistently good in my opinion. Ranging from a harder Southern Rock sound to his normal groovy metal stuff as well as an acoustic EP under his belt that had some awesome covers with some awesome people singing. He's one I'm surprised isn't talked about a bit more.

Finally I'm glad to see that Joe Duplantier is getting more recognition as an awesome guitarist/songwriter. He's one I'm thinking will be brought up a lot more and more with up and coming bands when they state their influences/who/how they got "their" sound from.

I certainly agree Nick Johnston is severely underrated as well. I've been listening to his material more and more lately and wow is their some great stuff in there.

Deathspecter

Free Bird Player
    May 14, 2021
    Edinburgh
    Anders "Blakkheim" Nystrom has been one of my biggest influences over the last two years. Never see him mentioned anywhere and he is excellent. Other mention goes for Cody Ford from Soen and if you haven't checked Soen out, make sure you do cause they are probably one of the best bands for me at the moment. You can't fault a single song.