• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Using headphones with tube amp

PaulDi

Garage band Groupie
Dec 31, 2019
I would like to practise at night with headphones. I have a H&K Grandmeister 40. How can I do that using the RedBox output? Any cheap solution? Recommandations? I don't want to use a computer. Thanks

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Any solution I could think of would involve TRYING things that may or may not work. The only thing I can really think of is to get a small USB powered computer interface, like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo or something, power it with a USB cable plugged into the wall, and run a mic out from the Redbox to that, then plug headphones into the Scarlett.

I do *not* know if it would work, but that would be my first attempt at trying, as long as it was someone else's money or I knew I could return everything.

Reactions: PaulDi

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Does it have a no speaker mode?

I found this on reddit about a H&K Tubemeister 18

''If you set it to "no speaker" you could run that Red Box output into anything that accepts a mic input and has a headphone out. Just about any el-cheapo mixer would do the trick.
    But if you're going to be buying hardware anyway, why not just get a cheap headphone amp like that tiny one from VOX? Or get one of those gadgets for plugging your guitar into your smart-phone? Save the tubes on that H&K for when you're out gigging. :)
    ''

Reactions: PaulDi

PaulDi

Garage band Groupie
    Dec 31, 2019
    Ok. I had to use a computer, but no need to install any software. Just hag to plug and play a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 in a usb port.

The red box from my Grand meister goes in the xlr input, I put the power soack to 0 watt and activate the direct monitoring feature on the DI.

The sound is EXACTLY the same as if it was coming from my cab. I can use my midi pedal board and my wife can sleep!

I rented it to my local Guitar shop for 10 dollars. I.might buy one soon.

20200126_145341.jpg

PaulDi

Garage band Groupie
    Dec 31, 2019
    Ok. I had to use a computer, but no need to install any software. Just hag to plug and play a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 in a usb port.

The red box from my Grand meister goes in the xlr input, I put the power soack to 0 watt and activate the direct monitoring feature on the DI.

The sound is EXACTLY the same as if it was coming from my cab. I can use my midi pedal board and my wife can sleep!

I rented it to my local Guitar shop for 10 dollars. I.might buy one soon.

View attachment 261
    And i can record if i want to someday..

Synner Endless Summer Collection