• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Why does this keep happening?

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hey guys, I believe I have made a thread like this before but I thought I need to get to the bottom of the problem. I have been playing guitar for months with no problems but on sunday I went out for a few hours and came back and I couldn’t play at all, I could barely hold a pick and couldn’t play clean.
    I have since managed to sort some issues out and can play blisteringly fast. I hold the pick pretty light but can tighten it up when I’m not playing fast which is good.
    The issue I have is that at times I get a lot of built up tension in my arm all the way down to my elbow, I am just really confused as to why it started hurting at such a random time.
    I have stopped playing completely for a few days at a time every now and then but the issue never occurred.
    Why at such a strange time?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Not sure, Dan. There are two things I can recommend, though?
    1. Stretch before you play, every time. This is a great video. I still use a lot of these before I practice every day.

2. Meditation. 10 minutes a day can do wonders for stress. If you can do it before you play, bonus. The “Calm” app for phones is nice, and the free version has all you need to walk through guided meditations and learn how to take charge of your body.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dan did you watch my latest video? Was legit the first time I made a video in a month due to my moving situation and theft. Legit dropped the pick lol. Who cares if you bomb every now and then. Turn it into a game and make it look like you did it on purpose.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I never stretch but honestly… my fingers never stop moving. So I guess they really never need the stretch lol
    The amount is air guitars done when no one is looking lol. Playing the phone like a fretboard. I guess they get constant usage everywhere I go.

Synner Endless Summer Collection