• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Your top 3 of each decade!

70s:
Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven, 1971- The entirety of Zeppelin IV is one of my favourite albums of all time! It's so good it seems more like a "greatest hits" than an album, but of course this is a timeless classic.
Queen, Bohemian Rapsody, 1975- Another timeless classic! Notably most people's introduction to progressive music.
Electric Light Orchestra, Mr. Blue Sky, 1977- This song is another progressive song that is brilliantly composed, my favourite part is the outro. Just picture yourself flying on a dragon's back as that outro plays. :ROFLMAO:

80s:
K.UK.L., Blackeye, 1984- This band was my introduction to avant-garde music. Their album "The Eye" is so good! Featuring Björk's unique and powerful voice.
Guns N' Roses, Sweet Child O'Mine, 1987- Timeless classic, one of my favourite songs of all time. Great memories were made with this song!
The Cure, Lullaby, 1989- For some reason I find this song very seductive?

90s: This is perhaps my favourite decade for music. A lot of artists across many different genres were releasing brilliant stuff! It was a really varied time for music and it's impossible to do it justice in such few picks, but I'll try to showcase just how diverse it was.

Albums:
Nirvana, MTV Unplugged in New York, 1994- This album is so representative of this time period! It's the most iconic out of the MTV Unplugged series, and a live album I enjoy very much!
The Smashing Pumpkins, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, 1995- I love SP! One of my favourite bands for sure! I admire anyone as prolific and willing to experiment with their sound as Billy Corgan and his lyrics are poetry!
Shakira, Dónde Están los Ladrones?, 1998- Early in her career, Shakira was an alternative rocker who mixed Latin and Lebanese influences with rock, and wrote beautiful, journal-like lyrics. This album showcases the best of that era. Great songwriting in here!

Songs:
Coolio, Gangsta's Paradise, 1995- This has to be one of the best songs ever! That choir and string arrangement is iconic and timeless! Immaculate! Immaculate I say!
One of Us, Joan Osbourne, 1995- This is the very first song I remember listening to in my life. I did not yet speak the language, but its sad and melancholic tone had a deep impact in me and I believe it shaped the way my taste would develop over time.
Massive Attack, Teardrop, 1998- One of my favourite songs of all time, if not my current favourite. Saying I'm obsessed with this song, doesn't even begin to cover it! :ROFLMAO:

00s:
System of a Down, Toxicity, 2001- One of my favourite albums and bands! I love the eclectic influences that make up the sound of SOAD. I love their melodies because they are so catchy and memorable while still being very original and unmistakably their own.
Evanescence, Fallen, 2003- I was having a hard time choosing between this, and 2006's The Open Door. While The Open Door is my favourite Evanescence record, Fallen was a hugely influential record in my life at a very particular time. It helped shape my taste and what would later develop into my songwriting style.
Amy Winehouse, Back to Black, 2006- This is a timeless album, incredible lyrics and one of my favourite productions by the brilliant Mark Ronson.

10s: This is another favorite decade of mine for music. In 2015-2016 I discovered the vast independent music scene and fell in love with it. This is more evidently shown in my song picks.

Albums:
Lady Gaga, Born This Way, 2011- My favourite pop record, very elevated writing for pop's usual simpler approach. With influences ranging from electro pop to heavy metal, incredible vocal performances by Gaga and a beautiful message overall.
Nightwish, Showtime, Storytime, 2013- My favourite live album, it always get my blood pumping! This whole performance is so tight and energetic. It was also the first time I heard Floor Jansen, and forgive the bad pun, but she floored me! She is to this day my favourite singer!
Chelsea Wolfe, Abyss, 2015- :ROFLMAO: When I discovered this album I was in college and at the height of my "music snob" phase, you know... "MoDeRn MuSiC sUcKs!" Well, I could NOT believe someone was making music this good in 2015!
Thanks to this album I found the underground indie music scene.

Songs:
Zola Jesus, Vessel, 2011- Zola Jesus is the perfect mixture of pop and experimental music.
Anna Von Housswolff, Deathbed, 2012- I am obsessed with this song, it has my favourite guitar tone ever!
Agnes Obel, Familiar, 2016- I absolutely ADORE this artist, her music is Heaven on Earth! So simple harmonically, yet so effective to convey deep emotion. She truly transports me! This track combines her modern classical style with some electronic influences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    My friend, where is Silver Side Up?
    70's
    Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Rainbow - Rising

80's
    Dio - Holy Diver
    Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
    Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers

I don't really know all that much about music from other decades to come up with a list.
    Could ask you the same.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    70s:
    Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven, 1971- The entirety of Zeppelin IV is one of my favourite albums of all time! It's so good it seems more like a "greatest hits" than an album, but of course this is a timeless classic.
    Queen, Bohemian Rapsody, 1975- Another timeless classic! Notably most people's introduction to progressive music.
    Electric Light Orchestra, Mr. Blue Sky, 1977- This song is another progressive song that is brilliantly composed, my favourite part is the outro. Just picture yourself flying on a dragon's back as that outro plays. :ROFLMAO:

80s:
    K.UK.L., Blackeye, 1984- This band was my introduction to avant-garde music. Their album "The Eye" is so good! Featuring Björk's unique and powerful voice.
    Guns N' Roses, Sweet Child O'Mine, 1987- Timeless classic, one of my favourite songs of all time. Great memories were made with this song!
    The Cure, Lullaby, 1989- For some reason I find this song very seductive?

90s: This is perhaps my favourite decade for music. A lot of artists across many different genres were releasing brilliant stuff! It was a really varied time for music and it's impossible to do it justice in such few picks, but I'll try to showcase just how diverse it was.

Albums:
    Nirvana, MTV Unplugged in New York, 1994- This album is so representative of this time period! It's the most iconic out of the MTV Unplugged series, and a live album I enjoy very much!
    The Smashing Pumpkins, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, 1995- I love SP! One of my favourite bands for sure! I admire anyone as prolific and willing to experiment with their sound as Billy Corgan and his lyrics are poetry!
    Shakira, Dónde Están los Ladrones?, 1998- Early in her career, Shakira was an alternative rocker who mixed Latin and Lebanese influences with rock, and wrote beautiful, journal-like lyrics. This album showcases the best of that era. Great songwriting in here!

Songs:
    Coolio, Gangsta's Paradise, 1995- This has to be one of the best songs ever! That choir and string arrangement is iconic and timeless! Immaculate! Immaculate I say!
    One of Us, Joan Osbourne, 1995- This is the very first song I remember listening to in my life. I did not yet speak the language, but its sad and melancholic tone had a deep impact in me and I believe it shaped the way my taste would develop over time.
    Massive Attack, Teardrop, 1998- One of my favourite songs of all time, if not my current favourite. Saying I'm obsessed with this song, doesn't even begin to cover it! :ROFLMAO:

00s:
    System of a Down, Toxicity, 2001- One of my favourite albums and bands! I love the eclectic influences that make up the sound of SOAD. I love their melodies because they are so catchy and memorable while still being very original and unmistakably their own.
    Evanescence, Fallen, 2003- I was having a hard time choosing between this, and 2006's The Open Door. While The Open Door is my favourite Evanescence record, Fallen was a hugely influential record in my life at a very particular time. It helped shape my taste and what would later develop into my songwriting style.
    Amy Winehouse, Back to Black, 2006- This is a timeless album, incredible lyrics and one of my favourite productions by the brilliant Mark Ronson.

10s: This is another favorite decade of mine for music. In 2015-2016 I discovered the vast independent music scene and fell in love with it. This is more evidently shown in my song picks.

Albums:
    Lady Gaga, Born This Way, 2011- My favourite pop record, very elevated writing for pop's usual simpler approach. With influences ranging from electro pop to heavy metal, incredible vocal performances by Gaga and a beautiful message overall.
    Nightwish, Showtime, Storytime, 2013- My favourite live album, it always get my blood pumping! This whole performance is so tight and energetic. It was also the first time I heard Floor Jansen, and forgive the bad pun, but she floored me! She is to this day my favourite singer!
    Chelsea Wolfe, Abyss, 2015- :ROFLMAO: When I discovered this album I was in college and at the height of my "music snob" phase, you know... "MoDeRn MuSiC sUcKs!" Well, I could NOT believe someone was making music this good in 2015!
    Thanks to this album I found the underground indie music scene.

Songs:
    Zola Jesus, Vessel, 2011- Zola Jesus is the perfect mixture of pop and experimental music.
    Anna Von Housswolff, Deathbed, 2012- I am obsessed with this song, it has my favourite guitar tone ever!
    Agnes Obel, Familiar, 2016- I absolutely ADORE this artist, her music is Heaven on Earth! So simple harmonically, yet so effective to convey deep emotion. She truly transports me! This track combines her modern classical style with some electronic influences.
    Love how SOAD slipped between there 🤣 you Just can't get past them and even Most None metal Heads I know Like them

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1613071953881.jpg
      FB_IMG_1613071953881.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 93

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    50s:

-
    Danny & the Juniors - At the Hop - I know this song from Mafia 2 which is my favourite video game

- The Chantels - Maybe - Another song I know from Mafia 2

- The Chordettes - Mr. Sandman - And you've guessed it, I know this song from Mafia 2 as well.

60s:

- The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun - Heard a cover of this song in a fucking Bee Movie and loved it

- Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower - Always knew the cover of this song by The Forest Rangers and only recently found out that it's actually his song 😬

- Ennio Morricone - Once Upon a Time in the West - This one has a special place in my heart. It was my grandpas favourite song and we played that at his funeral. It's still pretty hard to listen to it so i don't do it very often.

70s:

- Kraftwerk - Man Machine - My dad introduced me to them with their song Computer Love which I would put here but it's from '81. They are basically the pioneers of electronic music

- Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - I just love how creepy the melody sounds like. Fun fact, I believe that this song was considered a pop song and then the song appeared in The Exorcist and suddenly became super creepy. (something like that, don't quote me on this :LOL:)

- Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer - Saw a video of two guys dancing to this song and I immediately liked it

80s:

- Yello - Desire - I love the solo in this song. Probably one of my favourites.

- Michael Sembello - Maniac - Another great solo and also the way he sings the word "for" is just 👌

- Dino Dvornik - Ti SI Mi U Mislima - Very recently I started listening to this song cause I'm not really a fan of croatian music but this song is fire. Over here we call him the king of funk.

90s:

-
    Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler - The anthem of my childhood

- Foo Fighters - Everlong - Probably in my top 3 favourite songs ever

- White Zombie - Black Sunshine - I heard this song over 10 years ago. Love the riff, great for headbanging although as my music taste evolved into more extreme genres now I find it too slow to headbang 😆

00s

-
    50 Cent - Many Men - 50 Cent is the artist that I started my music genre with. My neighbour gave me the Get Rich or Die Trying album back in 2007 and I fell in love with it. I would put the whole album here but I had to choose only one song. Massive 50 Cent fan over here.

- Eminem - When I'm Gone - As I became a fan of 50, I also became a fan of Em as well. Used to listen to this song on an mp4. Anyone remember what that is?

- Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece of Heaven - Again, another song that changed everything for me. My sister showed it to me and I couldn't believe how good it is. Soon after that a7x became my favourite band.

10s

- Two Steps From Hell - Victory - Still can't get over the fact how good it is. Also in my top 3 favourite songs.

- Mick Gordon - BFG Division - Had to put it here cause it's one of the most unique songs ever and the guy is a genius. Super heavy.

- Parkway Drive - Dark Days - Can't say I Listened to this song as much as the others but it's the song that introduced me to PWD who later become my second favourite band ever.
    Bob dylan wrote all along the watchtower

Reactions: Filip Tomiša