• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

3 note per string patterns

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Hey guys my wrist hurts when i try to play three notes per string pentatonic patterns is it normal at the beginning or its because of my technique?
If it hurts, take a break. Rest is also part of practice!

Try, if possible, also to take a photo or video of you playing it so that we can provide input to help improve your technique :)

We will be more than happy to guide you!

Cheers!

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I think I saw @Josh Ellis practice that in a stream and it looked a bit difficult, it could be getting used to the stretches and patterns.
    Myself, I haven't tried those lessons yet
    video of you playing it so that we can provide input to help improve your technique :)
    What Muz suggested too

Watching yourself play is also good, so you can hear and see how you sound

Reactions: juiceellish
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

TrentNWM

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 15, 2019
    It's not unusual for your hand to hurt when doing these exercises, it's really just part of growing as a guitarist. I've taught several beginners, and it's usually because they have their wrist at an angle, and that puts way too much pressure on your wrist and can make it hurt more severe and for longer.

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I tried the first Pentatonic Etude if that's the one your referring to, it's a bit difficult and my wrist also gets a bit sore after a few minutes of practicing it.
    It's a nice exercise cause of the stretches on the 2nd and 3rd fingers
    Another stretch I've been working on is putting space between the middle and ring fingers like in Star Trek

download.jpg

Upvote 0

Jeremy W

New Student
    May 6, 2023
    Hey guys my wrist hurts when i try to play three notes per string pentatonic patterns is it normal at the beginning or its because of my technique?
    Take it from someone who practiced several hours every single day, like really worked his arse off on this stuff, from age 14 to age 24 and never really got as good as lots of other people who definitely (like, they confirmed it themselves) only worked a small fraction as hard at it as I did:
    LISTEN TO YOUR WRIST. When you start to feel that wrist pain, and/or when you feel that big meaty muscle where your thumb meets your palm start to tense up, DO NOT get stoic. Don't be a tough guy about this. Don't get pissed off at your body's frailty, grit your teeth, decide "no pain no gain," and try to mind-over-matter this issue and force your body to comply. There are plenty of other challenges you'll face as you learn this instrument where being a hard-nosed, can't-be-killed badass is the right attitude, but never mistake this particular issue for one of those!

When your wrist starts to hurt, stop right away and shake out your hand. Take a big deep breath, and focus on making the muscles in your arm, shoulder, and hand (actually your whole bod, but especially those spots) relax again. Then assess your posture. Are your shoulders back? Is your spine straight?
    And perhaps most important, are you keeping your wrist straight, or at least almost totally straight except for very brief moments when your stretch is at maximum, and then going right back to completely relaxed and straight? Were you trying to accomplish the 3-note stretch by bending your wrist around the neck to try and get your whole hand in front the neck? For many people's anatomy, bending your wrist to get the hand around to the front *feels* intuitively like it's the right thing to do when you need to stretch across 5 frets. It is not. It is destructive as hell to your wrist. The worst thing about my personal experience as a self-taught guitarist is that no one ever told me this. It screwed me over big time.
    Slow the metronome down a LOT, and put all of your focus into keeping your hand relaxed and your wrist straight for the stretch. Your hand doesn't need to be in front of the neck, it just feels like it needs that. It will seem impossible, especially if you've spent a bunch of hours training your hand the wrong way. It will feel sort of heartbreaking to completely change your technique to one where you can't do the scale anywhere near as fast for a while, but just remind yourself that the way you had been doing it was giving you carpal tunnel, tendonitis, ganglion cysts in your wrist, and eventually trigger finger, so it was not sustainable. The hardest thing about getting good at the guitar is training yourself to actively RELAX. It is the opposite of what you instinctively want to do. Forcing your muscles to relax, while keeping your posture solid, is where the stoic badassery comes in. EYE OF THE TIGER, but, like, this is music, not boxing. Do the hard thing. Relax.

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    One time I was practice singing with controlling my breathe and breathed all the air out, like too much and felt like got stuck inside out.
    Was really worried, it went away after a coupe days. Maybe it's the same some.
    I've been trying to fix my posture and strength my back and stuff, it's difficult for me to play relaxed but sometimes I can

Last edited:
    Upvote 0