• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Axe Showcase

VizualSwami

Campfire Attention Holder
Sep 28, 2020
Vermont
Hi all,
I can't seem to find a place to post pictures of our guitars. I wanna see when you are all shredding on! Here's mine:
  • Yellow Ibanez RG450EXB (I just got this one recently, definitely a lot more fun to play compared to my old electric)
  • Fender strat with squire jazzmaster neck (bit of a Frankenstein guitar, its a combination of my sister's old strat with a new pickup and my old jazzmaster. Recently decided to cover it up in stickers and I really like the look of it now)
  • Breedlove acoustic
PXL_20201001_165842555.jpg

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Too many to gather in one place for a family photo, so here:

2020 Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass SSS (Stock)
    2019 Kiesel Osiris with Fishman Modern Fluence (Bespoke)
    2018 Ormsby SX-GTR Shark with Dimarzio Air Norton stacked humbucker (neck)
    2018 Perle Destroyerman with Dimarzio Evolution pickups (Custom, one of a kind)
    2015 Paul Reed Smith 30th Anniversary Custom 24, quilted "10" top
    2013 Ibanez Premium RG921QM (with Synyster Gates USA pickups and stainless steel frets - needs wiring work)
    2013 Ibanez RG6005FEQM (Smoke quilt, stock EMG Active pickups - selling)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro (Heritage Sunburst)
    1990 Ibanez RG550-BK (SS frets, Gravity Storm pickups)
    1991 Ibanez 540R-LTD-RR (SS frets, Dimarzio Gravity Storm humbuckers and Evolution SC pickups)

2014 Martin DCPA5
    2013 Islander MAT-4 Ukelele
    1970s(?) Guild Madeira nylon string
    1973 Takamine F-400 12-string acoustic

2007 First Act Bass

Huh. I guess there's 15.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    @Ed Seith I tried a PRS once, not sure which, but it was really nice
    I want to get one like this one day, hide it in my jacket or something
    like bill & ted

Ahh, the classic Steinberger! Interesting guitars. I haven't tried one in decades, but it felt REALLY weird. Since that time, my tastes in shapes and feels have become more varied and eclectic, though, and my back hurts more :cool: so maybe that would appeal to me, too??

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Ahh, the classic Steinberger! Interesting guitars. I haven't tried one in decades, but it felt REALLY weird. Since that time, my tastes in shapes and feels have become more varied and eclectic, though, and my back hurts more :cool: so maybe that would appeal to me, too??
    Man i tell you what, i love the different shapes (obviously bc i own the 3 oddballs of gibson😂) but the explorer is not nearly as comfortable sitting as people said it was!

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    @Ed Seith cool, lol I didn't know the name of it :D Yeah I like a light guitar too. I was wondering how the balance of this thing would feel like, just noticed it has a Floyd Rose thing too. I imagine it with some pickups that don't use batteries. I've only owned the Strat model, I think I tried a Gibson one time and I remember it was super heavy, not sure.

Reactions: Jesse Salmons

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Man i tell you what, i love the different shapes (obviously bc i own the 3 oddballs of gibson😂) but the explorer is not nearly as comfortable sitting as people said it was!

I agree! My Destroyerman is for the most part Ibanez's take on the Explorer shape (Destroyer), with elements of their Iceman in it, but all the shortcomings of the Explorer shape are baked right into it. I had no idea until I had to live with it every day how uncomfortable it could actually be for me!

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    @Ed Seith cool, lol I didn't know the name of it :D Yeah I like a light guitar too. I was wondering how the balance of this thing would feel like, just noticed it has a Floyd Rose thing too. I imagine it with some pickups that don't use batteries. I've only owned the Strat model, I think I tried a Gibson one time and I remember it was super heavy, not sure.

It's not a Floyd. They're Steinberger originals. A Floyd will NOT work with a headless guitar. The Standard Steinberger trem is a lot like the one on my Kiesel, but they introduced something in later years called a "Trans-Trem." EVH used on on the 5150 album, I think. The song "Get Up" opens with some trans-trem goodness. The special thing about that was that while every floating bridge has one specific limitation - when you wiggle the bar, the strings are no longer in tune WITH EACH OTHER, the trans-trem fixed that. If you hit a power chord and slowly bent the bar down, the chord stayed a perfect root-fifth-octave apart.

Ultimately, it never caught on since nobody really cared about chords staying in tune with the whammy, but it was a really neat idea.

The balance of any guitar with no headstock is odd to get used to, but REALLY AWESOME when you do.

Reactions: William B.

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    I agree! My Destroyerman is for the most part Ibanez's take on the Explorer shape (Destroyer), with elements of their Iceman in it, but all the shortcomings of the Explorer shape are baked right into it. I had no idea until I had to live with it every day how uncomfortable it could actually be for me!
    Yes! Ive always loved the different ibanez shapes especially the iceman! Like, they make more than super strats! Haha! But still, i am an Explorer player and tbh other than the one off signature i may buy in the future, it’ll be the main shape i play. So iconic and comfortable standing up

Reactions: Ed Seith

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    It's not a Floyd. They're Steinberger originals. A Floyd will NOT work with a headless guitar. The Standard Steinberger trem is a lot like the one on my Kiesel, but they introduced something in later years called a "Trans-Trem." EVH used on on the 5150 album, I think. The song "Get Up" opens with some trans-trem goodness. The special thing about that was that while every floating bridge has one specific limitation - when you wiggle the bar, the strings are no longer in tune WITH EACH OTHER, the trans-trem fixed that. If you hit a power chord and slowly bent the bar down, the chord stayed a perfect root-fifth-octave apart.

Ultimately, it never caught on since nobody really cared about chords staying in tune with the whammy, but it was a really neat idea.

The balance of any guitar with no headstock is odd to get used to, but REALLY AWESOME when you do.
    That trans thing sounds like something for me, I keep trying to use my whammy with chords and my guitar just goes out of tune if I'm not gentle. I was thinking where have I seen 5150 before and just now remembered its the amplifier xD. Hey what's that whammy bar that people dangle their guitars with? And is that the same one that can go backwards? hard to explain sorry

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    That trans thing sounds like something for me, I keep trying to use my whammy with chords and my guitar just goes out of tune if I'm not gentle. I was thinking where have I seen 5150 before and just now remembered its the amplifier xD. Hey what's that whammy bar that people dangle their guitars with? And is that the same one that can go backwards? hard to explain sorry

Any floating trem can do that to one degree or another. My Floyds, Kiesel, and PRS trems all allow that, and I could set the Music Man up to do that, by I prefer to only be able to push that one down.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    is this any good? @Ed Seith

I don't know for sure, but Steinbergers really didn't come in an "entry level" model, and the only real differences were features. This one looks pretty loaded, so it's probably cool.

Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    @Ed Seith I'll talk with the guy at the shop if it's any good, last time he said he knows now what I like. It doesn't look like I can pull it back though, so the bridge also pops out and not only inwards. Thanks for the info, maybe the guy can get one of these Steinbergers. I don't want to get mocked for having a pink guitar as my main even though I think it's pretty cool