• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Band Issue Question

Jeremy Baszczuk

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
How do you deal with someone in a band that won’t take any criticism but will give it out no problem. Also doesn’t speak any music language at all. I have known him for 15 years and we all want him in the band and the other guitarist and I are more than willing to help him learn and improve but he is just so damn stubborn. He seems more interested in his stage presence, hearing himself over everyone, and only really has been practicing with us when we have a small college gig or something to play. We have brought these things up with him and he said he would work on it but to no avail. Another thing, and this may sound trivial, but he won’t buy a tuner pedeal. He has a clip on one but if we are actually going to be playing actual gigs, the other guitarist and I agree and have been pushing him to get one so people don’t walk away while he is tuning because no one wants to hear it.
Any ideas on how to approach this that doesn’t include booting him from the band unless absolutly necessary?
Thanks to those who respond.

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
I would just boot him out. If you have already broached the subject and nothing has happened then he can’t be that bothered. Everyone should be playing “for the band” so you can sound your best. Egos aren’t good for any band I don’t think. It seems it’s already causing tension and that can’t be a good think. Just let him down gently and professionally.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I would probably boot him out. This kinda things annoy me too. Just try to give home the ultimatum like: “you have to learn these songs, get a tuner pedal and learn some theory/terminology or else your our, we expect you to do this before our next rehearsal or else you are out” we did this with or old basis guitar player because he did not boter to tune his bass guitar and learn the songs(mostly drink a lot of beer during rehearsal and it worked

Synner Endless Summer Collection