• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Blues? Effect

Julian Penz

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey Folks me again :’D,
The second thing beside the Delay Pedal is, that I want to have a good blues sound. I have enough gear to create an awesome Distortion sound, but i´m playing a lot of Dream Theater stuff and Petrucci has some beautiful Solos with such a smooth and rounded Sound. I think Petrucci uses something like that, like a Blues Effectpedal, but I don’t really know. So I just want to ask, if you have some suggestions for good Blues Sound, some good Effects or anything else. Or maybe you know what guys like Petrucci are using.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hi, Julian! While metal tends to have a lot of highs and lows, with the mids cut out, and heavier use of delay pedals, blues will, in addition to using less gain, be more reliant on the rounder sound of a tone with more midrange, and good analog-style reverbs. It also benefits more from a neck pickup, whether humbucking or single coil. Petrucci loves soloing with his neck pickup, though of course he tends to stay really high gain, which can have a bluesy influence, but is not really especially bluesy most of the time.
    But yeah, a good start: neck pickup, more mids, reverb.
    Try some of that and see where you find your tone. Good luck!