• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Distortion question

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
I will be performing a song by shinedown at my school concert next month(Amaryllis). I’m trying to find a setting on my amp that isn’t too muddy, but is sharp sounding to do the job. I’m currently using the gold drive setting on my Vox vt40+. I’m just trying to match my tone as closely as possible to what it sounds like in the actual song, and I know I will need to adjust the mids and treble to get my desired tone. I can’t use to much distortion (like metal distortion) cause that will be too aggressive for the song I’m playing. So any tips on what settings/adjustments I should use to achieve that shinedown sound would be great.

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
I have a Vox AD50VT and I’m always trying to get that metal sound without being muddy but I never really find it. I read online that an overdrive pedal helps with that. Not sure if it’s true because I haven’t tried it yet cause I only have a distortion pedal. If it’s true then I guess that would help you get that shinedown sound without being too distorted or muddy

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
Hey man, I just found this site that has bunch of presets for VOX amps. http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/valvetronix-range.html
This should help you out. I finally got a nice clean sound after I adjusted the knobs the same way as one preset showed. There are bunch of rock,blues,metal… presets and I’m sure you will find one that you are looking for!

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
A lot of it has to do with the amp youre using and the gain structure that it has. Vox isnt known for having a tight, agressive rock and metal tone. Vox makes GREAT amps and has a classic tone. Brian may from queen has pretty much used vox amps exclusively for his entire career and he has a beautiful tone. I would kind of go along with what the other guy said. Set your amps to a reasonable amount of gain, like high enough to be distorted without being muddy, and then hit the front of it with an overdrive pedal. Set the overdrive like a clean boost, so you leave the drive down around 1 or 2 at the most and turn the level or volume up. This basically just drives the front of the amp and gives you a tighter, heavier sound. Also play with the bass and lower that if you’re getting a muddy sound. I like a beefy, thick tone but still have to keep my bass low for a lot of amps to get a tight tone. I would keep mids fairly high on just about any amp. Mids make sure you can be heard. Cutting the mids a lot of the time will make you disappear in the rest of the band. Then with the high end, you can play with it to your liking, but I wouldnt let it get “ice picky” where its piercing peoples ears. Also at louder volumes, the sound will naturally get more trebly. Let me know how that works out for you!

Synner Endless Summer Collection