• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

do I need to learn every mode and scale

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I wouldnt say that you NEED to learn every mode and scale. The important thing is that you can create different sounds in your mind and then pull them out of your chosen instrument. The scales are just ways to explain the sounds that we hear. The MOST important part of theory is having a good relative ear and knowing what each interval sounds like. If you dont know what they are, they go as follows.
Unison(two of the same note)
Minor 2nd
Major 2nd
Minor 3rd
Major 3rd
Pefect 4th
Tritone(Augmented 4th/ Diminished 5th)
Perfect 5th
Minor 6th
Major 6th
Minor 7th
Major 7th
Perfect 8th(Octave)
EVERY scale you will probably ever learn in western music uses a combination of these intervals. As far as fretboard knowledge goes, the most important thing is to learn the 5 CAGED positions and and how to create all of those intervals in each of the 5 positions.
The MOST important thing in MUSIC is to hum or sing a melody/ harmony and then find the notes on your guitar. Music starts in your head, not a scale pattern. There is a tendancy when you learn these scale to let the scales tell you what to do instead of controlling the scale and telling it what to do. Its easy to get stuck playing scales up and down and sound like you are running exercises rather than creating music. Not that it means you shouldnt learn scales, it’s just something to be careful of.

G

I needed help on Harmonies and you said to upload a riff and I did and you never got back to me. If you are going to watch it now. At 40 seconds in to the video that’s what I think a harmony is let me know

Synner Endless Summer Collection