• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Does the perfect album exist ?

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Today I stumbled across an old "Talk is Jericho" podcast episode from 2017 with Syn and Johnny in which they were on the hunt for the "perfect album". Syn's criteria was that every song on the album MUST be an A list track.

It got me thinking, what is my perfect album and do I even have one. Syn's criteria was a bit stiff imo. For me personally, I think my perfect album would be one in which I do not skip any songs. Sure, I may like some more than others, but even a "B" level track can still appease my listening appetite when its imbedded in a slew of "A" level tracks.

The first album that immediately came to mind was the self titled Metallica album. Yes, the all mighty holy grail that is best known as THE BLACK ALBUM. :love:

I quickly realized though I had a really hard time coming up with any others and really had to think long and hard but I finally came up with a tiny personal list for myself:

Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory (ALL A TRACKS)
    AFI- Sing the Sorrow
    Sum 41- Does This Look Infected

(oddly enough these three were the main albums I listened to in my early teen years. There's just something about the music from that time in your life that really sticks with you)

Anywho.....

Do you guys have any albums that you consider the "perfect" album ?

For me I would probably say skid row Slave to the Grind. That entire album is insane and there is no bad song on it. I have probably listened to that album I swear to you 1 million times. I've torn every song apart and it never gets old. So for me I definitely would say that album does it for me. I also agree with the Black Album it's insane but not my favorite compared to this one
    Skid row

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    For me I would probably say skid row Slave to the Grind. That entire album is insane and there is no bad song on it. I have probably listened to that album I swear to you 1 million times. I've torn every song apart and it never gets old. So for me I definitely would say that album does it for me. I also agree with the Black Album it's insane but not my favorite compared to this one
    Skid row
    Ya know, I’ve heard a lot of their singles but I’ve never actually listened to a full Skid Row album. Gonna fix that ASAP and give this album a go tomorrow ! 🤘🏻

You definitely should check it out! The self-titled album is also another album that would fall into this category. Slave to the Grind is my favorite for sure though! Butt there are two different versions of Slave to the Grind. One has the song beggars day on it and the other has the track get the fuck out. Both are awesome LOL

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Dream Theater - Images and Words
    Earth to Andy - Chronicle Kings
    Ice Nine Kills - The Silver Scream
    Ozzy - Diary of a Madman
    Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
    Tora Tora - Wild America
    Trivium - Shogun

Some of my very favorite albums can't be on this list but for one song. Slave to the Grind is a total killer, but I really don't care for Beggar's Day OR Get the Fuck Out. On Hybrid Theory, I always skip Cure for the Itch.

Dream Theater - Images and Words
    Earth to Andy - Chronicle Kings
    Ice Nine Kills - The Silver Scream
    Ozzy - Diary of a Madman
    Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
    Tora Tora - Wild America
    Trivium - Shogun

Some of my very favorite albums can't be on this list but for one song. Slave to the Grind is a total killer, but I really don't care for Beggar's Day OR Get the Fuck Out. On Hybrid Theory, I always skip Cure for the Itch.

Yeah it's a lot definitely for me. I would probably say that Judas Priest ram it down could be added to this list also pain killer could be added to this list. I suppose I could also add the Grand Illusion by Styx. Jesus I would really have to sit down and think about some more but these are just some other ones off of the top of my head.
    I will agree with you on Cowboys from Hell for sure! Also operation mindcrime is a must as well! Man, I guess I could also add Souls of Black by Testament and practice what you preach. Jesus there are so many haha damn it

Synner Endless Summer Collection
    T

TheRedMageGuitarist

Wow Alicia this was a great post! And I agree with many of your album choices.

I'll have to give this a deeper thought, although I tend to blast Northtale's albums all the time. Holly is probably sick of them by now😂

I do agree with her about Ram It Down and Slave to the Grind, though!

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Thanks for alerting me that Syn & Johnny did TIJ! I don't know how that managed to slip through my net but I know what I'll be listening to on my commute today haha.

In terms of a 'perfect' album, the closest thing I can think of is City Of Evil. It's just a treasure trove of bonkers songwriting, weird twists & turns and unlimited hooks.

I'm sure I've got more I could think of but straight off the bat - no pun intended - that's my pick 👌

iridecently

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Groningen
    Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age would probably be my no. 1 pick for a perfect album. The concept is super cool and well executed, each song is great on it's own and I am just a sucker for QOTSA. Also the lineup for this album was just insane: Josh Homme, Dave Grohl, Mark Lanegan and Nick Olivieri.

Last edited:
    I would have to say I could add avenged sevenfold and the hail to the King album, the stage album, Nightmare, and probably The White Album I would say there's not a song I would skip on there as far as I know. I have not listened to Hybrid theory in so long I would have to go back and listen to it but I blasted the crap out of that album when it came out LOL. Parkway Drive reverence album does not have one bad song on it. Oh, wow there are just a lot more than I thought LOL. This is kind of fun though I have to say

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I’ve never really though of this but for me it would be

Every single system of a down album! They get me so hyped or in a good mood! Theres not a single song I dislike by them

some others would be

Self tittled- slipknot
    City of evil-a7x
    Nimrod- green day
    Billy talent III
    😩 why didnt I think of SOAD ! You’re so right ! They have so many incredible and thoughtful albums. For me their music has always been about their lyricism. Yeah there’s some banging riffs and melodies but underneath are some poignant lyrics that touch on a lot serious topics.

Reactions: Kat the metalhead