• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Feeling bummed

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    I've been pretty hard on myself lately. Mainly because I thought I had found a band that wanted to get serious about writing some songs together but turns out no one wanted to take it seriously at all. The drummer (if you can even call him that) doesn't have a drum set because its "at his grandpa's house" but always comes up with an excuse on why he can't get it. The other guys with practice space and recording equipment was always coming up with even more excuses on why he can't make it to practice and then takes weeks to even get ahold of anyone. I thought about just giving up more than a few times. But why should I give up on my dream just because some asshats dont take their dreams seriously? I've come to terms with it lately and have decided I'll just write my own stuff without them. Which is going to take a lot of work because I'm going to clean out my attic and make it my own space to write and record. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get a drum track into my songs? The town I live in is basically a ghost town when it comes to musicians and it's hard for me to find people that will take this seriously. Any suggestions?

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    And that's exactly the reason why I don't want to be in a band! :ROFLMAO:

All said and done, you are doing the right choice. Don't give up because of others, instead invest in yourself and you just might be able to do it. But one step at a time, to answer specifically your last question: midi drums.

Basically, Midi drums are virtual instruments and you can pretty much do whatever you want with them. But to do that, I advise you to start investing into a better computer and some recording equipment. let me know if you need more suggestions!

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    I've been pretty hard on myself lately. Mainly because I thought I had found a band that wanted to get serious about writing some songs together but turns out no one wanted to take it seriously at all. The drummer (if you can even call him that) doesn't have a drum set because its "at his grandpa's house" but always comes up with an excuse on why he can't get it. The other guys with practice space and recording equipment was always coming up with even more excuses on why he can't make it to practice and then takes weeks to even get ahold of anyone. I thought about just giving up more than a few times. But why should I give up on my dream just because some asshats dont take their dreams seriously? I've come to terms with it lately and have decided I'll just write my own stuff without them. Which is going to take a lot of work because I'm going to clean out my attic and make it my own space to write and record. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get a drum track into my songs? The town I live in is basically a ghost town when it comes to musicians and it's hard for me to find people that will take this seriously. Any suggestions?
    Don't give up!! If you'll find someone with your same passion and ambition in the future great, until then be a one-man band!!! 🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

Zesty Rage

• Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    And that's exactly the reason why I don't want to be in a band! :ROFLMAO:

All said and done, you are doing the right choice. Don't give up because of others, instead invest in yourself and you just might be able to do it. But one step at a time, to answer specifically your last question: midi drums.

Basically, Midi drums are virtual instruments and you can pretty much do whatever you want with them. But to do that, I advise you to start investing into a better computer and some recording equipment. let me know if you need more suggestions!
    Thanks for the advice I'll check into it 😁 I'm looking into finding virtual instruments I can play around with to make this happen. The only thing I know how to play is guitar but I want to add bass and drums into the mix with it. So any virtual bass programs I can look into as well?

Reactions: devil'slittlesister

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Thanks for the advice I'll check into it 😁 I'm looking into finding virtual instruments I can play around with to make this happen. The only thing I know how to play is guitar but I want to add bass and drums into the mix with it. So any virtual bass programs I can look into as well?
    I mean, personnally I would rather recommend you to buy a bass and learn how to play it. It's gonna be sort of self intuitive because you play guitar (don't treat them both as the same though, they have different roles in the grand scale of a song). But yeah I mean, it depends on the DAW (recording software). The one I use, logic, already comes with a lot of virtual instrument so I never really went to look for virtual instrument plug ins since I use virtual instruments for my demos and I go for the real thing when doing final versions. But I am sure some people here might have suggestions :)

Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I get ghosted all the time, people act like I'm not even there. People I did meet seemed to not like me and would just say they are too busy. I gave up trying to find friends to grow and make music with together. I thought that was the way to go but it's not working out for me.
    Someone said writing songs is a good way to go cause there are more players than writers, something like that.
    I noticed there are/were many artists/bands that have one main person with a backing band if that makes sense.

I think there was a free version of Fruity Loops but I don't know for sure, a good audio card is probably needed or RAM. I remember some tones wouldn't come out properly, sounded like mud. Not exactly sure what the problem was but I ended up not liking it.
    A midi controller is a great addition, I want to get one eventually. I saw this Akai MPK Mini thing looked cool

Last edited:
    • Angry

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    don't give up and keep fighting for your dreams!! ♥️🙏sometimes the things don't work out, but keep going! 💯Soon you will find people who dream like you!❤❤❤

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I get ghosted all the time, people act like I'm not even there. People I did meet seemed to not like me and would just say they are too busy. I gave up trying to find friends to grow and make music with together. I thought that was the way to go but it's not working out for me.
    Someone said writing songs is a good way to go cause there are more players than writers, something like that.
    I noticed there are/were many artists/bands that have one main person with a backing band if that makes sense.

I think there was a free version of Fruity Loops but I don't know for sure, a good audio card is probably needed or RAM. I remember some tones wouldn't come out properly, sounded like mud. Not exactly sure what the problem was but I ended up not liking it.
    A midi controller is a great addition, I want to get one eventually. I saw this Akai MPK Mini thing looked cool
    There ARE definitely more players then writers. That's cause all people wanna do is play covers. But when the real writing happens they go "what do I do"

It's simple just play ANYTHING. And it can Becker a song.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Building a band is hard. People talk about how marriage is hard, but that's only two people. A band is 4 or 5, and the personalities are VASTLY different. The challenge has always been finding people of similar talent who are as hardworking and dedicated as you are, then getting them all into a regular schedule.

Until then, there's Toontrack EZDrummer. It will literally never try to sleep with your girlfriend, dog, or Mom, unlike most drummers. As Radu said, pick up a cheap bass when you can. Rock bass is usually not much more than riding the root note of the power chord, and most bass tones come from plugging the bass directly into the console (interface) and tweaking the recorded track, so it's a fairly minimal investment. For all the tens of thousands I've spent on guitars and guitar gear, my bass was $120.

The more you can do yourself, the less you have to wait for others. Good luck!

Zesty Rage

• Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    don't give up and keep fighting for your dreams!! ♥️🙏sometimes the things don't work out, but keep going! 💯Soon you will find people who dream like you!❤❤❤
    Growing up my mentor told me if it doesn't happen it just wasn't meant to be. That's the concept I'm taking away from wanting to work with a band but I figure it doesn't mean I can't write my own stuff on my own. Thank you for your words of encouragement I appreciate it 😁

Awex Came

May 23, 2021
    I feel this, man. I'm from a small town as well. I had to move to the city to find people, and even then a lot of people wasted my time and weren't serious. Go to where the work (maybe move to a more populated and musical city when you can) and know what you have to offer. Learn how to identify people who aren't as serious as you and don't settle for them. They'll show you who they are pretty early on, don't think you can change them. Find people who have the same work ethic. Keep working and writing songs on your own so you'll have something by the time you find people. Plus, good songwriting is an art on it's own so you're doing yourself a favor by taking the time to do it now.

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Growing up my mentor told me if it doesn't happen it just wasn't meant to be. That's the concept I'm taking away from wanting to work with a band but I figure it doesn't mean I can't write my own stuff on my own. Thank you for your words of encouragement I appreciate it 😁
    Sorry, but that's kinda bullshit. The most rewarding things in life DEMAND that you work for them. Walking away when it gets tough is how you get nowhere.

Shade

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    May 2, 2021
    Cincinnati
    Sorry, but that's kinda bullshit. The most rewarding things in life DEMAND that you work for them. Walking away when it gets tough is how you get nowhere.
    You could try to find apps that have features to add a drum track. Another suggestion would be to try to find a drummer online and they could record a track and send it to you.

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Argentina
    Im sorry to hear that, it happened to me as well, so working alone is the best thing to do until you find some as dedicated to music as you are. And for bass if you cant buy one just try MODO BASS from ik multimedia, you can use the di sound of the plugin and send it through an amp sim in your DAW. BUT is better to have a real bass instead of a virtual bass.

For drums as Ed said EZDrummer is the best option, there is also superior drummer 3 (its from the same company) and you have whole bunch of different sound libraries to customize your drums.

Dont ever give up on your dreams, keep the hard work and you can do wonders. And a plus its that you wont have to deal with the other guys disliking one of your songs or your riffs haha.

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you can, try to get into different jam groups. They'll often play different stuff than you are used to and that will make your a better musician. When you go regularly enough some kind of band might be born from it, who knows. The blokes I jam with, used to be a band but have gone through two lead singers for various reasons, so they just jam with me one a month or so.

As for actually starting a band, I would have no idea where to start there, but some of the others here have suggested doing the one man band thing, which isn't a bad idea. Get an octave pedal and you can do a basic Bass line. Then lay your rythym and lead tracks over it. There are a lot of robo drummer things you can use too.

Good luck !

Reactions: Ed Seith

devil'slittlesister

• Dec 13, 2020
    Massachusetts- USA
    instagram.com

This hurts my heart... I am so sorry that people are like that sometimes and I need you to know that it does NOTTTT reflect on the (fucking amAZING) person AND musician that you 113% ARE. I know we don't really talk but please know that I truly and deeply consider you my friend. And always will. I have been struggling a bit coming back into myself out of the dark place I was in until relatively recently, but knowing you are my friend and are here has helped me more than I will probably be able to express. I also know this is probably weird if me but hekk, I don't give a flying fuck lmao. It's how I feel, regardless of it is normal or not. I'm not sure if you are even in the U.S. but I would absolutely love to make music with you even if we have to do it long-distance. I have one snare drum from my percussion days back in school, and I sing and play piano aside from guitar. If you ever want to try to do something together, I promise I will! It might not be great on my part but I sure as hell will give you my all. Head up, homie. And know that even if it's hard to find your flock in the regular world, you have one here 🖤💫🤟🏼

Zesty Rage

• Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    Well duh but who said I was going to stop working for it? He tells me that alot but really what hes saying is "if they dont want to work with you why would you want to work with them"
    This hurts my heart... I am so sorry that people are like that sometimes and I need you to know that it does NOTTTT reflect on the (fucking amAZING) person AND musician that you 113% ARE. I know we don't really talk but please know that I truly and deeply consider you my friend. And always will. I have been struggling a bit coming back into myself out of the dark place I was in until relatively recently, but knowing you are my friend and are here has helped me more than I will probably be able to express. I also know this is probably weird if me but hekk, I don't give a flying fuck lmao. It's how I feel, regardless of it is normal or not. I'm not sure if you are even in the U.S. but I would absolutely love to make music with you even if we have to do it long-distance. I have one snare drum from my percussion days back in school, and I sing and play piano aside from guitar. If you ever want to try to do something together, I promise I will! It might not be great on my part but I sure as hell will give you my all. Head up, homie. And know that even if it's hard to find your flock in the regular world, you have one here 🖤💫🤟🏼
    I'm in the US let's do it lol we can collaborate on something and just throw a bunch of chaos into the mix 😂

• Love