• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Fingering Fret Board

MidnightA

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
I was playing without difficulty looking at the fretboard in the previous lessons. When I encountered the CAGED lesson series, I find myself unable to keep up with the tempo, regardless if it's at a slow pace. It bothers me that I always have to look at the fret board and recoordinate my fingers which takes me incredibly off tempo. Ahh help!

Reactions: Jak Angelescu
J

Jak Angelescu

I was playing without difficulty looking at the fretboard in the previous lessons. When I encountered the CAGED lesson series, I find myself unable to keep up with the tempo, regardless if it's at a slow pace. It bothers me that I always have to look at the fret board and recoordinate my fingers which takes me incredibly off tempo. Ahh help!
I am speaking into my phone so if there are errors and typos I'm sorry lol. If it makes you feel any Better, classical guitarists actually will still look at their fingers. Even the most seasoned and well trained players look at their fingers during practices and performances. When you are playing something difficult it's only natural for you to look at your fingers. My dad taught me a way to try to teach me to not look at my fingers and there is a good thing to that. For one, it teaches you to listen with your ears and sometimes you can actually hear mistakes instead of just feel mistakes if that makes sense. But when I went to the conservatory for classical guitar, my teacher bash it into my head to always look at my fretting hand. There are pros and cons to each situation. So don't feel about if you have to so look at your fingers. It's probably because you are learning something new once you get more comfortable with it you won't have to worry about it so much. But don't let your ego get in the way thinking that you shouldn't have to look at your fingers in order to be great!

MidnightA

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
It's been a lot easier to perform chords for me by looking at the fret board. I'm thinking of putting stickers on it to mark the fret #'s.

On another note, would you know what Papa Gates use for the tone in CAGED? Just so I can match up with him when I play.

J

Jak Angelescu

It's been a lot easier to perform chords for me by looking at the fret board. I'm thinking of putting stickers on it to mark the fret #'s.

On another note, would you know what Papa Gates use for the tone in CAGED? Just so I can match up with him when I play.
The dots on the frets mark every odd fret except for the double dots are the 12th🙂 and you don't need to match his tone. As long as you play what he's playing with feel that's all that matters 😊

Reactions: Ed Seith