• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

getting started with Music Theory

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hey, I’ve been playing for about three years and only started for fun (and because I looked up to certain guitar Players like syn), so I was never very interested in learning theory and rather just studied what I liked. Also I hated School in Music so I can’t even read notes (yet).
    So with this School I want to get into Theory more, but is there anything to start and Keep me motivated? I saw the Videos to the guitar layout and the first scale, but don’t know what to do with it. Any tips for an absolut beginner in Theory?

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    I’ve also been playing for 3 years and I never really learned theroy cause all tutorials on youtube were confusing to me so I was just focused on playing instead. When the school launched I started watching videos from the beginning cause I wanted to learn that and now I’m finally starting to understand it. So I would recommend you watch the lessons from the beginning because there is always going to be something new that you didn’t know before. After you watch all the lessons (but don’t rush through them, make sure you understand them) then maybe you can start watching the tutorials and they might start making sense to you.

Jen Hapke

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    The theory motivates me if I have the feeling to understand what I am actually playing.
    THe Circle of fifths is so awesome. Its a great help because you learn which chords fit together and if you know the key of a song you know what chords you can expect to be in it.
    The scales help you to solo over something in a key. The pentatonic scales guarantee, that you have no wrong sounding notes in it.
    Watch the CAGED lessons. They explain what you can do with scales better than every words can do.

Jeff Pogan

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Sounds like you’re having trouble with applying theory.
    Definitely watch all the lessons here. It covers everything you’ll need to know theory wise. If you don’t know what to do with the lessons in the first videos, then stick to it until you get to the advanced videos, then you’ll understand and learn how to apply it. Real wealth of knowledge in all of these videos!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jen Hapke

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I have to correct myself, I watched lesson 30 or so and that says that you have to change the shape per chord change.
    I have watched lesson 29 and 30 jet and they are both about how to use the scales and shapes and how to change them per chord.
    This means I have soooo much to do 🙂