• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar help

Colby Canterbury

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey everyone I’ve been playing off an on for about a year now but now I really wanna commit. I’ve only ever learned a few riffs here and there but I wanna sit down and learn my first full song back to front. So my question is what song should I learn? I think I’m an intermediate player so something around there I guess. So yea leave suggestions and I’ll get to it!!

Colby Canterbury

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Well I’ve learned quite a lot of a7x stuff I know sheaperds main riff beast and the harlots main um as well as the opening and main riff for bat country I also unholy confessions but I’m pretty bad at it lol. I also know quite a bit of Metallica stuff and I can do byob and chop suet by System of a Down I know some more simpler stuff but those are my favorites.

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Cool, I’m not overly familiar with A7X, aside from their Rock Band and Rocksmith appearances, so can’t really recommend anything there (Afterlife is good fun). You can’t go wrong with Metallica, they have something for every skill level, Bellz is pretty quick and easy to learn, Sanitarium for something a little more challenging or just about anything from the Black album should fit your criteria.
Panteras Mouth For War (or Walk?) is fairly straight forward and good fun to play. System of a Down? Hypnotize, Aerials may be a couple of options. Slayers Dead Skin Mask, Machine Head Davidian, Old or Death Church may suit.
To be honest there are sooo many options we could potentally list hundreds. Best bet is to pick a song you really like that sounds like it fits your skill level and start working on it piece by piece.
Maybe post a few vids as you learn each section for some helpful critique?
Disclaimer: Im a 40 something year old rhythm player, so my selections don’t take solos into consideration.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
For solos ylu could try stuff like Dani California by rhcp. Most rhcp solos actually are quite accesible for relatively beginners. For complete A7x songs something like I won’t see you tonight part 1, Seize The Day or So Far Away. You could also try Long live rock n roll by Rainbow. I’m not really familiar with the whole metallica discography but some black album stuff could be doable.
And as Adin said post some videos of yourself learning it so we can help you

G

And say if youlike Metallica do that because they are easy for me because I started learning their songs first before a7x also some new Metallica solos are kinda the same they are all in the penatonic scale which is one the first scales people should learn also a lot of music and solos use the penatonic scale like for an example zakk Wylde he uses that for his solos a lot also if you want to learn how to make your own solos learn some scales this will basically be a building block for learning and making solos. For riffs just think of your favorite band look up the tab or even sheet music or buy the tab or sheet music. Also learn by ear this will be more easier as you go along playing guitar even for solos I would learn them by ear which is something I do from time to time just get a feel for the guitar because you only been playing for a year it’s fine, around my 2 year mark is when I kinda understood the guitar. But there is so much more to learn anyways I hope this helps.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Julian Penz

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
For me there are two songs from Avenged Sevenfold, that are not “to hard”. Try to learn This Means War from the HTTK Album and/or Chapter Four from WTF Album. Both are real fun to play and have some heavy riffs!✌ I hope this might help you😁

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
For me not to hard rrally depends on whether you want to play the solos or not. The This Means war solo is pretty hard in my opinion. Just figured I’d put those two cents in too. The rhytm part of This Means war is fairly really doable though

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
It is always worth it. I don’t know at what level you are right now. If you can go fast and sweep yes definetely. If you can’t it may be better to learn a solo of a different song first otherwise it will just be a really frustrating thing to do and you really ahould have fun too. Hope this helps