• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar slipping

G

Get a guitar strap, and adjust your strap when sitting down so the guitar almost floats. Or readjust your leg position to keep it from slipping, I sometimes cross my legs to keep it in place.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Play standing up.
    It sounds like a joke, but I’m being 100% serious. I never do any serious practice sitting down. You don’t gig sitting down, so if you practice that way, then gigging is different and you’re not used to it. People who practice sitting down wind up being people who gig with the guitar strap holding their axe up by their necks. It makes the audience uncomfortable, because it LOOKS uncomfortable.
    Practice standing up, with the strap letting the guitar hang over your lower abdomen, touching the tops of your legs. If you ever start gigging, you’ll thank me :).

James Brown

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    As Ed said, standing would solve the issue of it slipping, but if you are sitting down you could try the classical position. It is slightly more awkward at first, but would definitely solve the issue, (at least it did for me with unconventional guitar shapes).

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    When I sit, I sit in a seat that puts my legs at a perfectly flat angle. That keeps it from slipping. But I try to practice standing whenever possible. Crossing my legs can also help level the guitar. Judging by your profile pic, you have a Les Paul? I’ve got a larger sized leg, and it’s thicker than the cutout on mine, so sometimes it slips while sitting because of that. I definitely find I adjust it more than my other guitars. Which forces me to stand more, which is good!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jen Hapke

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    You can find a good position for the guitar if you find the position of the guitar in your lap where it stays without your hands holding it. Find the position everytime before you start playing.
    I had the same problem when I bought my electric guitar. I was only playing a acoustic at that time. It was a chair issue. Now I keep my leg a bit steeper than the flat angle.

J

Jak Angelescu

There are a lot of different factors that can cause guitar slipping. We can practice standing up for sure, but if we’re taking something seriously for several hours and we have to look at the fretboard, it’s highly straining on the neck to do this for long periods of time especially if you’re having a guitar’s weight hanging on your neck or if you’re trying to follow sheet music, tabs or chord charts or even the school lessons. You don’t want to be leaning over doing that with the weight around your neck. All of this would be very inconvenient to follow when standing up. Sometimes we like to sit down so we can focus on stuff.
    Some of the factors can (I hate to say it for us girls) big thighs. I’m a chunky girl and the curve of my thighs makes the guitar slip so badly if I rest it on my right leg. This is why I play classical style by putting my left foot on a footstool and resting my guitar on my left leg. Another one is the fabric of your pants. Things like leggings or workout pants, loose fitting pj pants can make the guitar slip badly because of the thin/slick fabric. If you’re playing on a guitar with a larger body like an acoustic, they can also be prone to slipping.
    Another factor is if your chair is too high. It will make your thigh slant downwards too much which will cause slippage.
    All in all, my advice would be to get a foot stool. If you don’t have one you can use something like your guitar case laying flat. I do agree it’s crucial to spend practice time standing up but I like to do that after I’ve gotten something down a little better. Hopefully this helps!