• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Guitar Strap

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    It's really up to you. Obviously, the ideal would be for you to be able to play comfortably. Our limbs all have different length and as such, it is better to find what's right. Some like it low, some like it high... there is also the ''cool'' factor. If you look at Slash, he plays with his guitar hanging in pretty low and it looks cool but he has longer arms. I personally wouldn't be able to play that low.

My personal advice? experiment and find the height to which you feel most comfortable to play while standing up!

Upvote 0

HasserWeiss

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Apr 29, 2020
    Guatemala
    hasserweiss.bandcamp.com
    Adding my two cents here, but remember it's all a matter of preference: The higher the guitar is, the easier the digitation will be. You'll be able to move your hands a bit better than the guitar hangs low. Sure, hanging it low looks cool, but it'll make the digitation a tad harder.

Experiment with the height and see how it works for you.

Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Does having the strap peg on the back of the guitar have a different feel? The area where the neck connects to the body.
    My guitar has it on the side on the horn/wing and on the bottom ( also the side ). When playing, feels like it wants to go outward with my strumming side and need to use a bit of effort to correct it.
    I like having the guitar at an angle somewhat, my strap comes loose sometimes cause of it, risky.

Going to test different levels.

That adjustable strap things sounds neat, reminds me of the dropped tuning switch. :D

Upvote 0

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    A method some people use is to essentially have the guitar at the same height when standing as when you are sitting. Ie. Adjust the strap so that the guitar doesn't go any lower when you stand up from a sitting position. Another thing is, when you're going from strum to soloing, that's where putting your foot up on something to both give your guitar more of a tilt and the guitar doesn't move around as much when you're doing the solo. This is essentially why you see the "foot on the amp/floor monitors" when peeps do solos.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection