• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar to PC?

Alec Lewis

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
  • Nov 11, 2019
    So I have a probably basic tech question. If I have my guitar plugged into my amp (like I normally would) and I also have the Rocksmith aux to USB adapter, could I get away with plugging that into the headphone out Jack and into my pc (ignoring sound quality for now…just want to get a method to record). Or will it not work in the headphone jack?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I would say it does not matter which program you use. Just connect the amp with laptop via any usb cable whose other end is a standard 1/4″ jack. Go to your speaker settings and check the box “listen” on the recording device ( which usually shows up as a P2P device). There you go. To listen to your guitar on your laptop, you don’t need any software. To record, you need. I hope you find this helpful.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    It depends on your situation. My amps I can plug the cord straight into my PC. I also have a pedal that can do the same and an audiobox as well. But when I play with headphones it definitely records exactly what I hear in the headphones to the computer. I use Audacity. I dont think I’ve tried a single other program b ecause of simple it is. I hear Reaper is good too. I tried pro tools, but its way too complicated to try to learn on your own. I’d need someone to actually show me lol

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    D K, thanks for bringing this up. This is a very common problem that we guitarists face, including me. I did some research on it. I use windows 10. Apparently no one, even the microsoft people cannot come up with a full proof solution. There is always some delay. You update your drivers, change settings…whatever. So I suggest you have to find a way around it. What I usually do is, I do not listen to my guitar through laptop at all. Suppose a backing track is playing and you wanna record over it. You select the tone. Then you listen to the acoustic strumming of your guitar, Forget the earphones. You have to trust your naked ears. You may find it difficult in the beginning but you will get used to it. Please tell me if you find a better solution.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

D K

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Belgium
    Yeah when recording I usually just play without being able to hear the amp, this isn’t really a big problem. But it would be better if you could actually hear the amplified sound to hear the nuances that you can’t hear with just the acoustic sound.