• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Work You'd Like To Hear On The Next A7X Album

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
So basically, since this is Syn’s guitar forum, I thought why not make a topic about this. I’m sure both him and Zacky want to expand their guitar work on the next album even more, and bring new and interesting ideas. And there’s no doubt about that, because all Avenged albums are outstanding guitar-wise.
With that being said, the mindset I had when I thought about this topic is “What The Stage lacked guitar-wise?”, and it’s really hard to find an answer, but me being a little nitpicky shit that I am, I thought this:
– Dive bombs, a lot of dive bombs
– More tremolo picked riffs (essentially what you have on Fermi Paradox, but I’d like even more of that, in a way they did it on Remenissions for example)
– More thrash/groove riffs, something you can just headbang to and mosh until you pass out haha
– More guitar duels, especially something like this riff in Chapter Four demo version (I still don’t understand why they didn’t use that riff, it’s a pure bliss)
– A bit less clean guitar passages, I know that that’s something they artistically wanted to do on The Stage, but I feel like there was a bit too much of clean guitar passages in non-ballad songs.
So this is my “wishlist” for the next album. I know that Syn and the boys will do whatever they want, and I accept that. But if they could do a few of these things, I’d be the happiest guy on planet. What would you guys wanna hear?

João Jófili

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I personally liked every second of The Stage. I’m talking about pretty much every aspect of the guitar work, drums, bass and vocals. It was a pretty refreshing experience, with some incredible chord progressions, that still gives me really good times just appreciating it.
If I would say my wishlist, I really can’t think of anything to put on. Gates and Zacky are evolving so much in their compositions, I really wouldn’t want them to stick with something they know they can do better. I’d like them to feel free to use some techniques they always wanted to use, but perhaps never found a great place to do so.
Solo-wise, they’re pretty much the best yet. Songs like Dose, one of my all-time favorites, has a great solo, that to me, fitted so well on the theme of the song, that even if it isn’t a shedtastic solo, it is still a great one. The solo on The Stage has energy, fast-paced sections, and even some duels. It’s something that Avenged Sevenfold is notorious for doing so well!
So this means that I wish that they do whatever they think it’s good. Because for the past nineteen years, they’ve done a pretty good job doing so.
But still, dive bombs would be awesome! Ahahaha

G

Yes I agree but I was joking I want to hear more diverse riffs and just you know thrashing riffs
Also some sweeps I agree with you completely with the good foundation i think maybe a lot of people lack that we
You have to have a good foundation then build off of that.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
For me personally the guitar playing from the stage is my favourite oud of all the things they did. I film would like to hear one thing its probably Syn and Papa gates making a gypsy jazz record. Besides That to me A7x can Do pretty much whatever they want.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
I don’t want to sound like an entitled prick, but Syn, if you could make an opening song like this on the next album, it would be orgasms everywhere right from the start. This is my favorite album opener ever, and if there is any band that could dethrone it, it’s Avenged. But for now, this song, oh my fucking god…

Tory Capman

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
Personally I find that if I go into it with some sort of expectation, I end up disappointed in some way. And especially with Avenged Sevenfold… as we all know, no one record sounds like another and so each time I hear a new one, it’s shock followed by delight and amazement with each listen. I will admit tho, The Stage album has the longest shock period of them all haha

Tyler Koch

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I really enjoy the “simple” yet head-banging riffs that get thrown into the mix. The chromatic riff in simulation where the patient gets drugged is pure genius because it’s so simple. Riffs like that or the breakdown of god hates us are so much fun to listen to. Also, I really enjoyed hearing Syn expand on tapping a little bit since it really isn’t something he’s done much on past albums. The Chris Broderick style string skipping tapping in the stage intro is done extremely well and i’d love to see more of that style of guitar playing. Other than that he’s pretty much nailed all of the other “Syn style” licks and techniques he usually does. One other thing I always enjoy hearing though is the acoustic duet style playing like during the small breakdown in God Damn. Reminds me of the ending of sidewinder as well. That style of music blends so well with Avenged’s music.
One direction of music I wish Avenged Sevenfold ventured into more would be in the style of “Not Ready to Die”. Given that it was put together so quickly, it’s still one of my favorite songs by them. It takes a fairly straight forward melody and builds an entire seemingly complex song. Anything along those lines would be really cool to hear.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I dont know what to expect from Avenged, because its always different. What I’ve learned from theband, you can expect anything on the next album. Because you’re usually wrong. Altho I’m excited to hear they could be starting on the next record after this summer is over. I highly doubt you’ll see a stage p2. Rather then have a wish list, I’m gonna sit back and see what this band can come up with next. Because you know it’ll be out of the park.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Tyler Koch – Yeah, Not Ready to Die is in my Top 5 Avenged songs. It’s so good, I wish the band would make a full album like that song. I think generally, the band should continue building the prog influence off The Stage, while adding some thrash and melodeath elements with riffs and aggressive vocals. Whenever they do a song like Not Ready To Die, or Buried Alive even (a song that turns extremely heavy in the 2nd part), it’s a jackpot. Both those songs are a perfect mix of heavy and melodic, with a progressive song structure.
I always cite Shogun and The Blackening as 2 albums that A7X should look at when talking about the next album. They shouldn’t make the same albums per se, but something in that prog-thrash style that both albums have, that would be perfect. I think that style is perfect for Syn as a songwriter (I mean, just look at the sweep-picking and tapping lessons on this site, that would totally fit that sound), and it gives other band members a chance to shine as well. Zacky could write a ton of fast punky-thrashy riffs if they were to create such record.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Daniel as much as I’d love a progression off the stage, I feel they wont even use the same producer. I feel they like to change it up. I could be VERY wrong here, but I think they enjoy mixing different producers in there, considering they did it themselves, it’s probably fun to mesh together different ideas and see what they can come up with.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
I think Matt or Syn said in an interview they’ll use Joe Barresi again on the next one, because they had so much fun with him doing The Stage. If they were to work with somebody else, I’d hope it’s Nick Raskulinecz who produced Shogun, and that record has a perfect snare sound imo. But if they decide to work with Joe again, I’m not gonna complain because he’s awesome.