• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Hammer Ons/ Pull Offs and Timing

Kai C

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Naha Okinawa
Hey guys, still working on nailing down the timing basics. I've been using a metronome a lot more lately and right now I'm practicing something that includes hammer ons and pull offs at the beginning and end of each measure. Do you usually hit those ho/po notes as a half note inbetween beats or are they on their own beats? I'm sure there's different approaches to it so it might just depend on what you're playing and how the melody feels

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I honestly do them wherever I feel like. It also depends on whether I'm lazy or not. There's really not a rule to this.

Let's say you count and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. You want to do a 3 note melody which starts on the first and. You can pick that one, the note that falls on the 1 and hammer on to the note on the second and but you can also move it around however you like. Hammer on to the second not or hammer on out of nowhere to the first note. Whatever you feel like. That's kind of what makes your playing your playing and not someone else's

Reactions: Kai C