• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Hear something interesting for Kemper users

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    What is a Kemper?

Kemper is a profiling amp, similar in concept to an AxeFX. The main difference being that the AxeFX digitally recreates an amp component by component to achieve tones, and Kemper is more of a "play this amp into me and I will copy it."

Different means to the same end. Kemper is better for people who don't like to tinker, or who can get too caught up in tinkering, where the AxeFX can be very overwhelming in that regard, if you're not careful.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah, Kempers from my knowledge just eq match and then model distortion based on modifying the basic sigmoid function of the distortion by taking impulse responses (the funny wee woo noises). I actually did a thesis on guitar amp modelling and its pretty simple really.

Axe FX also models distortion in the same way but runs on a cascading gain structure much the same as how when you add boosts or overdrives into an amp it reacts to the boosted signal.

This more accurately represents the affect that each section of the amp has on the sound and allows for seperate modelling of the pre and power amp sections.