• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Help Loose Floyd Rose Collar

Sophie Stoyan

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
For some reason, the collar on my Floyd Rose (the piece of metal you screw on to keep the bar in place) keeps coming loose as soon as I use my bar. This is a big problem because it’s ruining the tension on the bridge and making my guitar go wildly out of tune. Does anyone know how to fix this? I searched but couldn’t find anything. Thank you!

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hmm. Nothing to do with the bar itself or how it attaches to the bridge should affect tuning at all. The tuning is all tied to the pivot points (bridge mount screws and knife edges at both outside edges of the bridge) and the counter-tension springs in the back cavity of the guitar.
    Pictures might help. There are many different styles of Floyd Rose bridge.

Sophie Stoyan

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Is it possible that something else is amiss on my guitar then? This is my first guitar with a FR. I watched a few videos on set up to help me when I got it but otherwise don’t know.
    This is the same model as my guitar (except for the color but obviously that’s irrelevant)
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-deluxe-mh-1000-electric-guitar-with-emgs
    If you zoom in you can see the collar that I’m talking about.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The springs keep your BRIDGE in place. The bar is screwed into the bridge. On that model, if the springs are adjusted correctly, then the flat plat the bar screws into, when viewed from the side, is parallel to the strings (or to the top of the guitar, if that is flat and not an arch-top – the model shown is a flat top).
    All the bar does is pivot the entire bridge on the axis provided by the two outer screws, at the edge closest to the bridge pickup (the lower one is partially hidden by the bar in the pic). The bar itself has nothing to do with how the bridge lies, the tension, or the tuning, when it’s not being actively used. The screw you’re talking about only adjusts the tension of the bar – whether it swings freely, swings with some resistance, or is held fairly solid. The bar is literally nothing more than a lever, like a prybar/crowbar. It provides leverage and feel to move the bridge on its pivot point, which raises or lowers pitch of the strings.
    If the collar or bar won’t stay where you want it to, it probably needs to be replaced.
    http://www.guitarpartsworldwide.com/s2g/pguitarparts/Exploded_FR_Pro.gif

Sophie Stoyan

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks for your replies.
    After reading them, it seems like my floyd rose has two issues. 1) the lack of tuning stability and 2) the bar coming loose with the collar
    I’m thinking I may have to take it into a guitar tech to have a look at it.