• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Home Studio Gear Question

Tory Capman

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
So I want to expand my home studio and really start learning to record and mix to have at least a semi-professional sound.
Currently I’ve got a Presonus interface to get the mics or guitars into the computer. I’ve got two mics: an Sm57 and a Sm58. I think this will suffice for instruments but I’m wanting to get more equipment for vocals.
I think the mic I wanna go with is the Shire SM7B Mic and a Warm Audio WA12 MkII Microphone Preamp. I cannot buy both at once, so which should I buy first? Should I get the preamp and use it with my current mics before getting the SM7B?
I’m also open to any different suggestions if anyone has some and I’d be very interested if Syn would chime in with any advice based on what professionals use in the studio. I wonder what mic/preamps Shads uses?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I don’t even own an interface but someday I do kinda eant to start recording myself. I do prefer(at least I think so) mic infront of the amp instead of amp line in to interface or guitar directly to interface. So I really like the mic question!

Tory Capman

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks Ids! Yeah I think the current mics I have will do fine for instruments but I’m not sure about vocals. And I hear the SM7B requies a lot of gain to help it sound good which might make it pointless to buy without a preamp. But they’re both over $400 each🤯

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
Sm57 is a great mic for recording a guitar through amp or for snare, sm58 is a dynamic mic and it’s used for live performances, sm7b is a great mic that once you buy you will use it forever, some great bands like SOAD used that mic for their records, it’s also a great podcast mic. I would get shure sm7b but if you are happy with how sm58 sounds when you record it then get a preamp

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Tory Capman

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
That brings up another thought I had. Would I be better off getting a cheap condenser mic and the preamp while I save for the SM7B, or just stick with the sm58?
I plan to learn to record by making covers and then progress to writing my own stuff. I would cover anything from A7X to John legend

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
I think it’s best to just stick with sm58 because you don’t want do buy some shitty condenser mic just because it’s condenser. I’m not saying that cheap mics are not good (sometimes the cheapest one sounds the best one for some vocalists) but it’s better to invest into something that you know it’s gonna last and that you are going to be satisfied using it. And you don’t need the best equipment to make a good recording, you’ll be just fine with 58 🙂

Tory Capman

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
I think I tried using it once and didn’t really like it. I have Reaper on my desktop. I used it back in 2010 to make a super amateur recording of Second Heartbeat’s guitar parts so since I’m already somewhat familiar with its functionality, I’m going to try to use it again.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Had no idea you had to pay for full reaper. I do NOT think thats the same with audacity. But I personally dont think I have the newest version. I cant remember if I updated it because I was mid recording, and didn’t want to mess anything up.
Depending on the price to liscence, I’d advise paying it for the extra effects if they are that good to pay for. But Audacity has a ton of effects that you can add on top of any effects you have in your recordings. Kind of adds a bit of flavour. Especially vocally.

Martin Berg

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Depending on the style of vocal your current mics is actually often used. My advice is to rely on the Presonus interface pre’s as they are pretty good and if you want upgrade with a nice Røde or perhaps a AT2030 multipurpose mic.
But most important; learn your gear and room first! Use it, try it out and focus on recording… Visit http://www.recordingrevolution.com for usable tips. Remember you don’t get to be a great guitarplayer by buying a awesome guitar. It takes practice and need work. Same with recording…
Let’s hear from you 😉