• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

how much should I spend on next guitar?

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
hi guys

I started guitar with ibanez Gio, sold that one last year and bought Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro. I thought that was it and I would never needed another guitar :) I love my guitar, I can play so many different styles. But Im at the point that I want an extra guitar. I will use that one for playing music in lower tunings (like In Flames), so I dont have to switch strings and i can play like in C.

I want my next guitar to have 2 more frets. I have 22 now, and I want 24 frets. I dont want a Les Paul shape (cause i want something different). Im thinking about a guitar like Ibanez or LTD. When I bought this guitar i was also playing on ESP LTD EC-256FM See Thru Purple Sunburst, and really liked that one too (but has 22 frets).

Im wondering now how many to spend on a second guitar (cause I think i will play it less than my LP, im thinking less money?) I dont have plans to play in a band or something, so its for my use only. I have a nice amp (boss katana), so i think most guitars will sound ok for me. But im not the expert here. So any advice would be appreciated. Thinking about 300 euro (max 500), is that ok, or better spend 500 for a better one than 300 for a cheap one?
Thanks in advance :)

• Love
Reactions: Christian Schulze

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Its hard for me to say “spend this much on a guitar and youre golden” because thats not how it works in my opinion. If a guitar has everything you’re looking for (body style, pickups, certain knobs and accessories) for 500 and you cant find anything comparable for 300, then pay the 500 for what you want. Dont think “oh ill buy a cheap one because i wont play it a whole lot” because a lot of times you get what you pay for with guitars. And if you get a cheap one, that doesnt sound good to you, you’ll never play it and be missing 300 in your bank account. Just my 2 cents

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I'm spoiled, and it's the rare guitar I'd spend less than $1500US on, but a lot of great playability can be had in the $500-750 range. Below that, and you're usually compromising something you'll wind up wanting to upgrade later (usually pickups, wiring or tuning pegs). If you're accepting of spending more later, then just make sure you find one you love.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    So I would Go the other way around and say what Specs do I need, then what color, shape etc do I want and then what guitars can I find that have all that.

It seems you know what you want pretty well already though so here are my two Cents on your actual question. I know that nowadays you can get good quality stuff for a good price but If your Goal is to have an instrument you will never need to upgrade and really want to Stick with, I'd invest at least 500. Basicly #whatedsaid
    I think 500-750 is the sweet spot for great quality for a good price.

Reactions: Ed Seith and Kim

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Lol Ed, you should have some really nice guitars then 😀😀

Thanks guys, so i guess theres big difference below 500 and a bit higher than that. Thats why i spend around 600 for my LP. But i thought if i dont use it as much its maybe not needed. But its cool tot have a nice guitar and wanna play for years and years, so maybe spend some more 😃

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    So I would Go the other way around and say what Specs do I need, then what color, shape etc do I want and then what guitars can I find that have all that.

It seems you know what you want pretty well already though so here are my two Cents on your actual question. I know that nowadays you can get good quality stuff for a good price but If your Goal is to have an instrument you will never need to upgrade and really want to Stick with, I'd invest at least 500. Basicly #whatedsaid
    I think 500-750 is the sweet spot for great quality for a good price.
    I dont have much knowledge of specs... i want different shape cause LP is heavy and the shape sometimes makes it difficult to hold body in good position, because size is bigger
    I have some color prefers, but thats not rly important, especially important is if i like how i play on it, gonna check some guitars out in store

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I dont have much knowledge of specs... i want different shape cause LP is heavy and the shape sometimes makes it difficult to hold body in good position, because size is bigger
    I have some color prefers, but thats not rly important, especially important is if i like how i play on it, gonna check some guitars out in store
    I also ment more Like what do you want when I Said specs. You know you want 24 frets, No lp and Play Low Tunings. So you May want to Look Into Metal oriented guitars and Brands and Baritone guitars. :)

• Love
    Reactions: Kim

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    I also ment more Like what do you want when I Said specs. You know you want 24 frets, No lp and Play Low Tunings. So you May want to Look Into Metal oriented guitars and Brands and Baritone guitars. :)
    Ok :) yeah looking into metal guitar it is! never heard of baritone, looked it up, didnt know it existed, also an option for me

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Lol Ed, you should have some really nice guitars then 😀😀

Indeed I do, if I do say so myself. You can see most of them in my instagram feed :cool:

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    hi guys

I started guitar with ibanez Gio, sold that one last year and bought Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro. I thought that was it and I would never needed another guitar :) I love my guitar, I can play so many different styles. But Im at the point that I want an extra guitar. I will use that one for playing music in lower tunings (like In Flames), so I dont have to switch strings and i can play like in C.

I want my next guitar to have 2 more frets. I have 22 now, and I want 24 frets. I dont want a Les Paul shape (cause i want something different). Im thinking about a guitar like Ibanez or LTD. When I bought this guitar i was also playing on ESP LTD EC-256FM See Thru Purple Sunburst, and really liked that one too (but has 22 frets).

Im wondering now how many to spend on a second guitar (cause I think i will play it less than my LP, im thinking less money?) I dont have plans to play in a band or something, so its for my use only. I have a nice amp (boss katana), so i think most guitars will sound ok for me. But im not the expert here. So any advice would be appreciated. Thinking about 300 euro (max 500), is that ok, or better spend 500 for a better one than 300 for a cheap one?
    Thanks in advance :)
    I have the same desire for my next guitar..24 frets and a tremollo barr. I use the Thomann App and typed in for lefties....those specs...and an Ibanez Jem Jr come out. So next year I will try to treat myself for my 5th anniversary with that guitar.

In your case look for guitars put in the specs and budget on a guitar website. If you are right handed (I believe you are) you can definetly get something for around 500 bucks...Ibanez specially!

Just looking real quick:

• Love

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    I have the same desire for my next guitar..24 frets and a tremollo barr. I use the Thomann App and typed in for lefties....those specs...and an Ibanez Jem Jr come out. So next year I will try to treat myself for my 5th anniversary with that guitar.

In your case look for guitars put in the specs and budget on a guitar website. If you are right handed (I believe you are) you can definetly get something for around 500 bucks...Ibanez specially!

Just looking real quick:

Thanks for the spanish links :ROFLMAO: Ibanez Rg is one I wanna try out. Just wanna go to a shop and try out some guitars. When I bought my current guitar (think we have the same), I looked a lot up on internet and thought I knew what I want, but in the shop I didnt really like playing on them and ended up with the LP :)

• Love
    Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Thanks for the spanish links :ROFLMAO: Ibanez Rg is one I wanna try out. Just wanna go to a shop and try out some guitars. When I bought my current guitar (think we have the same), I looked a lot up on internet and thought I knew what I want, but in the shop I didnt really like playing on them and ended up with the LP :)
    Yeah sorry...use the Thomann App in Spain XD. Yes we have the same Epiphone LP.
    BTW its always better to test in the store.

• Love
    Synner Endless Summer Collection