• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I think we should be more open about music in general

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I listened to parkway drives new album, and I’m confused why people hate it.. its not as soft at their fans make it out to be, kinda reminds me a bit of arch enemy in a way.. Not bad. Maybe cause its not the off beat changes and breakdowns they are used to lol.
I love a band who isn’t afraid to try new things.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    @daniel, I gotta say that the Chester refference wasn’t quite fair. The hate of the fans was first and he was very likely a depressed person at this point. I bet when you bring out new music that is way different than before, and you get hate from your “fans” everywhere you look, you would not be like, “oh that’s ok, maybe you like the next one”.
    Again I see your point but that “hostile” attitude comes in almost any cases from a hostile fanbase.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Well, you should expect such backlash if you change your sound as much as they did. Musicians should be professionals both on stage and off stage though. They shouldn’t let their emotions go off like that, it just isn’t professional and it makes them look bad. People have lost respect for Suicide Silence because of the same thing. Plus if musicians start attacking their fans for disliking their new music, that shows how much insecure those musicians are in what they’ve created.
    The hostility of a fanbase doesn’t justify the hostility of a band. That applies to every situation when it comes to people in the public eye. Imagine if Cristiano Ronaldo verbally attacked a fan who said that he wasn’t good enough on the field that night, that wouldn’t make him look good, wouldn’t it?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Musicians are humans! That’s got nothing to do with being professional. And I can’t call any fan a true one that hates on a band for changing their style. Maybe not support it, silently, but no, it is sooo easy to hate on the internet so EVERYBODY does it. And these people are worth to get said f*** you, I don’t need you. Which is just a natural, justified action in such a situation if you ask me. How can you “forbid” a bands hostility against a world full of hostile “fans”. It’s a part of what makes us humans. Action and counteraction.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    By that logic, Donald Trump is justified for saying all the nasty things he’s said, because he’s just a human as well. It doesn’t work that way. People in the public eye need to be conscious of the way they are presenting themselves and how they interact with supporters and non-supporters alike. If a musician can’t take criticism, he’s doing a poor job at being an artist. There will always be people who love or hate what you do, so you have to learn how to accept that and not get too salty about it. Throwing middle fingers at people for saying they don’t enjoy some of your music is immature.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    As humans we are all worth respect and must respect each other.
    It is natural to have different opinions. There are as many opinions as people in the world and the beauty of it is to be able to learn from others who think different and to be able to have a discussion from different points of view, but always respecting each other, even if you disagree.
    As Dominik said it is easy to hate on the internet. But hate leads us nowhere. Just express your opinion but always respecting the others.
    I think this is the most basic rule to live in the world.
    Going back to bands and drastc changes in their music I understand your point of view Daniel, and in a part I share it. You don’t have to like all the new stuff a band makes only because you have been a fan for a long time. An it is a little frustrating when your expectations about the new material are high and you hear it and don’t like it.
    It happens all the time. My point is that we must respect those changes the same way that musicians must respect the negative opinions from their fans. But change is normal and disagreement is a great oportunity to learn. Maybe in the future they will make again music you love or in the way you’ll come across new bands and new sounds.
    That is what I love here in this forum. We can have this discussions always respecting other people’s opinions.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    @daniel, First of all there is a hell of a difference between constructive criticism and hate. Most of the time you will mit find the first. Also you have to differ between musician and politician, because musicians do what they like for themselves while politicians are ment to serve Something Higher than what they want. And yeah it’s kinda immature to act this way, but what I’m saying is I totally understand it.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    @dominik Sure, but still, a person that hates a record by a band has a right to hate it. The person can be constructive while explaining why he/she hates it. Also, I said that if a musician only does music for himself, then why does he release that music? Music isn’t meant to be just for this person or that person, it’s meant for everyone. I personally wouldn’t ever make music only for myself, that would seem too egotistical and purposeless.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    @mariler “Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.” Yoda
    Sorry couldn’t resist throwing in a Star wars quote there😅
    @daniel an artist should always do stuff they want to do. If a band makes a record which they actually don’t really want to make but do it anyway because the fans want them to I consider it very much fake and not as enjoyable. You know the reason Why Matt doesn’t Scream anymore? It’s because doesn’t really want to scream anymore and everyone who keeps whining about that he should scream again should really stop complaining about that.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    @Ids I’m not saying that an artist shouldn’t do what they want to do. I’m just saying that artists shouldn’t do art just for themselves, because if they do it just for themselves, they might as well keep it for themselves and not have any fans. That’s the difference. Idk why do people don’t understand this lol…

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Every artist makes art for themselves and that’s completely fine. It’s just some artists release it others don’t and for some that means it’s good and others means it’s not that good. To me the term sell-out kinda means that you’re making music to make sure that it sells and not necessarily music that you like yourself.

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    A perfect example of a GOOD genre transition is Bring Me The Horizon with their That’s the Spirit album. Just because it doesn’t have any growling or screaming doesn’t mean it’s bad but ofcourse people will start crying on the internet that they sold out.
    A perfect example of a BAD genre transition it the Suicide Silence self titled album. I never bash on artists, if I don’t like it I’ll just ignore it but that album is just horrible and the way band member handled the hate they got is awful. They acted like assholes and they didn’t want to accept that they made a bad album.
    @calvin People criticized IRE because they only heard Vice Grip and started bashing on the band and they didn’t listen to songs like Destroyer, fractures, sound of violence, dedicated, dying to believe… basically all other songs on that album.
    Sometimes metalheads can be the whiniest people on the internet. Just read the comments on any Loudwire or Metal Hammer posts on facebook. But the good thing is you are only going to run into those people on the internet. In real life people are just way mature.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    @Ids Well, I wouldn’t say that every artist makes art just for themselves. Pantera always said that they were creating music for both themselves and the fans. Trivium said the same thing when talking about their latest record. And I already said that I wouldn’t ever make art only for myself, so there’s that. What’s the purpose in making art only for yourself? The essence of art is lost when you make a secluded thing that feeds your ego.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Daniel IMO art is the way how artists express themselves, the same way you express here what you think.
    Art is a way to let the others know how the artist feels in that particular moment. Why should they keep it for themselves if they want to share it?
    Why should I stay in silence in a conversation if I have something to say? People who are not interested in my thoughts will just ignore me and that is all. But I won’t keep my thoughts for myself because they are not interested or don’t share my opinions.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Saves The Day was one of the biggest influential punk pop emo bands about the same time Avenged was still screaming. Then They released an album by the name of In Reverie.. and the label literally dropped them and told them they wrote the wrong album. The band lost the radio time.. and almost fell apart because of it. They eventually wrote a 3 part concept album about it. They are still out there playing but they arent really anywhere near as big as they were. I guess its not always the fans.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Doing music for yourself does not mean that no one else should hear it. It means that you do the music you want to do. The music that means something to you, touches you, helps you express yourself. So it is never “wrong” or “selfish” to go in a way different musical direction. Like Mariler said, music is a way to express yourself and there is no way you can tell anyone how they are supposed to feel.