• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Improvising over All Of Me

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Basicall I really like the melody in all Of Me So I figured I might as well improvise over it. Now I spend About an hour yesterday and today doing so but I just get seem to get it right for more than 10-20 seconds after that there are a lot of wrong notes and it is starting to annoy me a little bit. Any tips for improvisation over All Of Me ?(I do kinda know which arpeggios work and what the chords are just need some hellp figuring out which scales to use and stuff)

Donnie Keeney

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I am not a jazz expert and there is no right way to improvise over this but I can give you my 2 cents. The first 2 bars are in C major so any good old C major scale or arpeggio will work. In bar 3 it moves to E dominant 7 chord so you can use an E mixolydian scale. The color notes to focus on are the major 3rd or minor 7th or the chord (g# and d respectively) that give it a distinctly dominant sound. Same thing with the A7 chord that comes next but shift all the notes up a major 5th. Dm7 is perfect for the d Dorian scale. Back to E7 again then we have Am7 to D7 this is the ii-V of G major so you can focus on notes in G major for these bars or do A dorian then D mixolydian. The next 3 bars are a ii-V-I in C major (Dm7,G7,C) so those 3 bars are in the key of C major. You should recognize all the chords until you get to the Ebdim7 chord where you can use the diminshed scale. I’m going to wrap this up because my computer is dying but hopefully that give a you a good start on your game plan.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
@Tory haha I just kinda like the whole gypsy jazz thing and really like the melody in it and since Gypsy jazz is Improvised a lot I figured you ahould be able to improvise over it😅
@Donnie Thanks donnie I’ll try those things and try to add a bunch of gypsy jazz flavours to it