• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Is it my pick or am I just bad at alternate picking?

Ben Thorpe

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
My pick is pretty big, not sure exactly how big but around 3cm. I have really been struggling with alternate picking recently and I feel like my pick is making it 10x more difficult. Would getting a smaller pick help or am I just making up excuses in my head?

D K

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Belgium
Using another pick that suits you better might improve your playing, try experimenting with different types of picks to see which you like best. Also, try experimenting with stuff like the way you hold your pick or the way you position your picking hand to find out what works best for you. But most importantly: keep practicing and don’t give up.

supraja vadlamani

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Yeah, experiment with a bunch of picks. When I started out, I hated using picks because of how flimsy they were and then realised that I didn’t hate picks, but just hated the 0.7mm ones. I then experimented with a bunch and ended up loving the 2mm one (it’s also the one Syn uses I believe) and it’s used by a lot of guitarists for playing lead! Good luck in finding the right one! 🙂

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
It all comes down to personal preference.
Have you watched the lesson on how to hold a pick properly? It helped me a lot as i was holding it wrong.
At the moment im using jazz III picks. Maybe try these? Or even the John petrucci jazz III picks? They have a sharper point at the end. But it all depends on how much of the pick you want to show. Not a lot of the pick will be showing with a jazz III compared to that of a Dunlop. Just try experimenting.